• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 supahughman

supahughman

• 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi guys,

So the other day I bought an SSD to add to my system which already had a 1TB HDD. I've got a clean sopy of Windows 7 running and there are no problems so far, except that I need some info on how the setup of the SSD and HDD together actually works.

As of right now, all I'm doing for things such as folders that I had originally on my desktop, I'm just linking short cuts from my HDD. Is this all I need to do to keep files on my HDD and use them?

Also, should I have my old OS still on my old HDD? I imagine that all it is doing it taking up space. Is there anything I can do about this?

Now in conjunction with the last question. If I were to remove the OS from my old HDD would folders like program files and such be removed as well?

And the last question. To install games to my HDD, could I theoretically make a folder called games directly on my HDD main directory and just install games there? Then just make short cuts to the desktop.

I would REALLY appreciate some solid answers to these questions, the idea of having such an unorganised state of drives is doing my head in.

#2 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 737 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

There is software which can migrate your OS install to a new drive, the SSD in this case. One example which I found to work well is Paragon "Migrate to SSD". It costs a few bucks, though. Or, if by now you "just" have a clean install of Win7 (which I understand as "fresh") you could just as well reinstall on the SSD, as you wouldn't loose much work put into the old installation.

Now the question would be: how large is the SSD? Do you actually want your OS on the SSD?

If you've got a Z68 or Z77 mainboard you could also set your SSD up as automatic cache (Intel SRT) for the HDD. That's what I'm personally using (3 TB HDD, 60 GB SSD).

In any such cases what ever you put onto the SSD by now would be erased, so take care.

If you have the Win install on the SSD then you can simply install programs on the SSD for speed or where ever you want on the HDD to save capacity (it's usually in the advanced install options). The correct short cuts are still being created by the install routines (or can be manually created, of course).

In any case the page file must be on the SSD, as HDDs are slaughtered (performance-wise) by paging.

MrS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users