Reliable drive for bulk data storage?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdub87

jdub87

• 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hey all. Up until 2011~ I used Samsung spinpoints for their reliability and reasonable price/gb. I switched over to WD Greens but some recent failures have made me question how reliable they are. Right now I have one 3tb WD green and three 2TB greens in use. I mostly store movies/music/games on them and they are not taxed too heavily.

My idea is that rather than lose $150 and who knows how many hours and chunks of my sanity dealing with RAID that I can just fill a drive, make a copy and then put that copy in storage. Its a little pricier on the face of it but the lack of hassle with RAID should make it worth it I think. I often pull my HD's out and use them in HD docks and with media players for TV.

What drives would you buy for your computer's use? WD Red's? Blacks? Another manufacturer entirely?

What does the reliability survey say about the current crop of 2-4TB offerings? Reliability is very important to me but cost/GB shouldn't be thrown out the window entirely if it can be avoided.

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

They're all about the same, if you need reliability, simply have multiple backups, not just a single one.

#3 jdub87

jdub87

• 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

They're all about the same, if you need reliability, simply have multiple backups, not just a single one.

It didn't use to be that way.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

It really depends on the use and budget. Reds are NAS drives, they don't belong in a PC. Hitachi Ultrastars are great, but do you want to spend $300+ on a HDD?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 jdub87

jdub87

• 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Why wouldnt you put Red's in a pc? Especially a pc that tends to be left on 24/7? (even though most drives can be powered down when not in use)

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm not sure WD won't support them in that case, but they don't indicate that use case for those drives, so it could be an issue...just flagging as a potential problem. They're engineered to work in the NAS environment, you'd probably have more success with Greens/Blacks inside a PC.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Like you, I stuck to the Samsung drives for reliability. I even procured quite a few on eBay for a while because of my distrust of the other brands.

I finally started buying Seagates....they are the ones who got the Samsung tech, after all. I prefer < 7200RPM for data archival, but those are sometimes hard to find without taking apart external drives.

Every drive *always* has a duplicate mirror.

In my pile of dead drives, the only ones 1TB or over are WD greens. I don't trust those *at all*. However all of my Samsungs in my NAS are still spinning happily, 24/7, and have been for over three solid years...

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Vishera 6350/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/2x Radeon 7950 Crossfired
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users