Seagate Central Review Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

The Seagate Central is a consumer-friendly NAS device ranging up to 4TB in capacity that features an Ethernet port which enables users to centralize their content and share it over their wired or wireless network by plugging into a router. Behind the concept for the Central is the reality that most consumers have their content spread across flash drives, portable hard drives, several computers and mobile devices. The Central makes it simple to maintain that level of freedom to have files and media wherever they are initially stored, but while also creating more convenient access to have all of that content backed-up and readily-available in one place.
Seagate Central Review

#2 jamiealex

jamiealex

• 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi

I'm new to the forum (and new to the topic to be honest) so please forgive any obvious questions;

Having read numerous external drive reviews it looks like the seagate central is a good choice for my primary requirement (a central storage point i can store data/photos/etc from the variety of devices used in our household with flexibility of later access).

Due to the volume of data on some of our devices however (notably smartphones and video cameras) they are essentially near capacity and require space to be made by deleting the media off the devices once a copy has been stored on an external drive. This has obviously lost me the option of using the seagate central as a backup device (my second requirement) as it will essentially be the primary data store once data is deleted from the portable devices. This leads to my query;

a) can i simply plug a second external HDD into the USB port of the seagate central to back up the files stored on the seagate central? and;

B) what drive(s) would you recommend for this role (if my assumption in a) above is correct)? My preferences for a back up drive would be ease of use (preferably an automated back up software) and cost over outright performance.

Many thanks in advance

Jamiealex

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

If you're going to go that route you're really better of buying a small NAS so you have more protection options. Did you consider that?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 jamiealex

jamiealex

• 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi Brian

Many thanks for the reply. Just to clarify; you are suggesting a small NAS to be plugged into the seagate central (as opposed to a stand alone HDD) to back the central up? or were you suggesting a different NAS to the seagate central itself?

Again, apologies if I'm being a little slow on the uptake...

p.s.

any suggestions for any suitable NAS devices would be gratefully received...

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'd just go with a NAS...just don't trust single drive options for storage of anything important. Any of the 2-bay Synologys are good, really comes down to needs and budget. Probably a new thread would be best for that conversation.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users