Holding down PWR button damage drives?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brandonhill7

brandonhill7

• 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

So just recently one of the two hard drives in my desktops RAID 0 started failing reads and writes. This caused a whole lot of trouble, but once everything had been wiped, and the hardrives removed from RAID and then setup back into an array, everything seems good. Also it seems to have come as a result of holding down the external powerbutton on the tower to power off the pc. This was done repeatedly the night that the HDD failed, as I understood that it could possibly cause file corruption, but should not cause any damage to hardware, as it should be designed to shutdown this way. Is this true? Was this some fluke or should I refrain from using the powerbutton as a shutoff method? And do I have to worry about the drive failing again?

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

The hardware should not be damaged from improper shutdown, but as you found the filesystem is easily damaged by doing that. It'd be best to do a proper shutdown whenever possible.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 MataLeo

MataLeo

• 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

The hardware should not be damaged from improper shutdown, but as you found the filesystem is easily damaged by doing that. It'd be best to do a proper shutdown whenever possible.

Was wondering about that lately, are you sure? If heads are hovering over platters busy doing something, and power is cut off, does the drive have the time (and power) to retract an arm? Or platters are spinning down and heads lose their air cushion and start to rub against the platters?

#4 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yes, drives are designed to make use of the energy from the spinning platters to move the actuator off the media and park on the ramp. Holding the power button will not cause any harm to the drive itself, though as others have pointed out, it might be an issue for the file system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users