• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nine_Iron

Nine_Iron

• 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hey guys,

I have a Crucial 64gb SSD that was my main drive with Windows 7 on it. I was tired of it always being full so I purchased a 128gb Crucial SSD and have clean installed Windows 7 on it. I want to us the 64gb SSD as a games drive but even after I have formatted it, when I install it and boot my pc I get an error saying the path to Windows is not found...I can hit enter or esc and either option closes the screen and Windows loads up just fine. Are there remnants of the old Windows 7 on the old drive confusing the boot sequence? Any ideas will help guys, thanks!

#2 Nine_Iron

Nine_Iron

• 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

It says:
Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change my be the problem

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

#3 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

If you unplug the second drive, does it give the same message or a different one?

If you had the second drive plugged in while installing Windows 7, the system partiton(100mb partition that contains boot stuff) may have been put on the second drive. You can verify through disk management and looking for a 100mb partition or a partition that says boot in parenthesis.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#4 Nine_Iron

Nine_Iron

• 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

IF I unplug it and boot up everything works perfect! It wasn't in as I loaded Windows on my 128gb drive but once I was loaded and fully operational I had to plug it in to format it. I thought everything was fine until I had to restart then I got the message. When I installed the 64gb drive I went straight to boot manager to make sure my system booted with the 128gb drive and not with the 64gb drive before I was able to format it. At some point I did get into the 64gb and and saw the partition still but it was empty and the drive was formatted. Maybe that partition is still causing issues even though I chose to format/delete it.

#5 Nine_Iron

Nine_Iron

• 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

The partition is still there on the 64gb SSD...it has been deleted, formatted, etc but it still shows a partition and I can't get rid of it in disk management. When I right click the partition all options are greyed out and if I highlight it and click delete up on the top menu bar it says....cannot delete a protected partition without the force protected parameter set. I think this partition is the problem, even when I download Windows updates I get errors until I remove this 64gb drive then windows boots fine and updates download with no errors. Any help on getting this SSD back to a single drive with no partition?

#6 Nine_Iron

Nine_Iron

• 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

haha problem solved. It was the partition. I finally found how to get rid of it in cmd prompt with diskpart...evrything is good now. Thanks!

#7 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Glad to see you resolved the issue....I'd still recommend doing a "secure erase" on the SSD just to freshen it up...and this might even improve performance.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#8 RRWhite

RRWhite

• 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Agreed. You must follow disc wipe to release all the garbage entries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users