WD My Passport Ultra Review Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

The WD My Passport Ultra is the newest iteration in the My Passport line that offers USB 3.0 connectivity, up to 2TB of storage, and it also includes software with drive tools and to enable local and cloud backups.

WD My Passport Ultra Review

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

The WD My Passport Ultra is the newest iteration in the My Passport line that offers USB 3.0 connectivity, up to 2TB of storage, and it also includes software with drive tools and to enable local and cloud backups.

WD My Passport Ultra Review

So it's like My Passport for PC with some new software? I wish they start making aluminum enclosures, like for their MAC line

#3 MichaelREMY

MichaelREMY

• 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

So it's like My Passport for PC with some new software? I wish they start making aluminum enclosures, like for their MAC line

i'm a PC user, and i bought the aluminium mybook studio 3TB on applestore. After NTFS, all is fine and works fine. No big deal it's ok, not a "mac-only" product, just a "design-mac-product".

i don't understand why the height is so high for this new model !
15mm for the 1TB is big in 2013 ! whaaaoooo !

Last month, i just purchase the Lian Li EX-10QB external case where i put in the Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB hard dive into. The whole is less high than 12mm. And it is 2011-2012 products years. Moreover, the box is in alum , not plastic !

Attached File  IMG_5024.JPG   64.99KB   2 downloads

So, why western digital my passport new product is so expansibe, so plastic, so high ?

I have a question, if i buy the 2TB mypassport ultra, will i get a for-life 2TB storage space in the cloud of WD ? or less space or each month pay ?

Edited by MichaelREMY, 01 September 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Probably because the drive height of the disk inside the enclosure. WD has historically used plastic for PC products because those users don't want to pay a premium for aluminum enclosures. That may change though. As to teh service and what they offer, really am not up to speed on that.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Jeannette

Jeannette

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Looking at purchasing the WD My Passport Ultra but then read a review that said it doesn't work with Windows 8. Direct quote from review on Amazon.com "It runs the first backup fine, but then all incremental backups just don't work. The subsequent backups launch based on a schedule but then just run interminably without ever copying over the latest changes. This is the case for both backups to the Passport and to Dropbox."

Anyone have any insight, info, etc. on this?

#6 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

The passport will work on windows 8 just fine. However, their backup software(SmartWare) may have issues with the newer operating system(if that review is accurate). Since it is a software issue and the software is available for other drives, it will likely get fixed.

If you really like the drive, there are also other software that can work for backups or you can even look at the Windows built-in backup.
Software from EaseUS or Aronis can also offer a potentially more comprehensive backup solution.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users