SSD Storage versus HDD Storage

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sax Man

Sax Man

• 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hello Forum Friends, I have the mid-2012 version of Mac Mini without the disk drive. It currently has a 500 Gig Harddrive. I'm considering changing to a SSD Harddrive, but the most memory I've found is around 240 -250 Gigs. I will be using the Mac Mini for music production and will be recording a CD for major production. What's your advice

#2 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

I like the Samsung 840 Series, the normal and the pro. Usually the non-Pro should be sufficient when now having a HDD.
You can place a SSD and a HDD in you Mac Mini http://www.ifixit.co...ive Kit/11713/1

#3 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

A SSD should help with loading projects and application load times at the very least.

There are bigger SSDs than 256GB/240GG. Did you not find them or are they out of your budget? 480gb/512GB SSDs are more common than 960GB SSD(latest one is a Crucial M500-review here.

Search online for some prices and take a look at some reviews(here) and see if any brand or drive interests you. Samsung and Intel are solid choices, but you can't really go wrong with other potentially cheaper brands.

Besides "hacking" the machine to add a second or external SATA port(which can void warranties if you damage anything), you should check to see if it has USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. With an enclosure, you can get some additional fast storage that way(either to compliment a smaller SSD or to add more storage. Also, you can use those ports do do backups(essential for anything).

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users