5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Review of WD's new 5mm UltraSlim HDD:

WD Blue UltraSlim 500GB Review (WD5000MPCK)

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 134 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Really curious about actual build differences between the Blue and the Black. Most OEMs will go for the blue to cut corners, but still there is some scenarios for the black that WD intends, I want to know what they are :rolleyes:

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 754 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

It seems like a pretty solid offering, but when ever you can afford to work with 2 more mm in height the regular Scorpio Blue is a superior choice in every way except weight. This bodes well for the ultra thin Black, though.

MrS

#4 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think we will see this in just one generation of notebooks (18 months) before the market goes all-SSD. The main question is if WD is selling enough of this drive series to get their R&D costs back.

From a (notebook) buyer's point of view the availability of spare parts is the main issue. It's the same as with the 1,8" form factor: a little bit to exotic.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Black UltraSlim adds cache, so that's where it fits in, as a more premium offering. As to notebooks going to all SSD in one more generation, that seems unlikely. There are simply too many users who still want or think they need the capacity an HDD offers or they want a price point that SSD can't yet reach in a reasonable (240GB) capacity.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 225 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

I hope they make a 3 platter 9.5mm or 4platter 12.5mm black drive since they are sticking with 5400RPM in this new design (?), NAND cache is good.

I hope this isn't a sign that like Seagate, they are moving away from 7200RPM laptop drives. But I guess the difference is pretty small really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users