Is it an end of the Era for FC SAN?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gina

Gina

• 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

The recent changes in the storage industry may be signaling the end of the SAN era. Why?

#2 Gina

Gina

• 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

The problem that SAN was designed to solve, still exists, which was to replace locally attached storage. Does anybody have a say on this?

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I'm not sure what the question is exactly...SAN still has a big market and doesn't appear to be slowing, though NAS and other solutions do nibble away at the lower end of the market.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

I guess the question is about FC. I'm sure that Fibre Channel is the best performing technic for building a SAN but it's also very expensive.

I don't think that FC SAN will disappear from the market, but it's meaning to the market will probably significantly decrease.

Edited by Linzi1980, 29 April 2013 - 03:02 AM.

#5 mbreitba

mbreitba

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

FC and it's guaranteed lossless capabilities will ensure the protocol's continued acceptance and use. FCoE will probably break in and replace a lot of legacy FC implementations, but I don't see FC as a protocol going away.

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Not going away for some time due to the install base and progression to 16, but if you were to build a new infrastructure, it would be hard to argue for FC.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users