Hard drive enclosure troubleshooting

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adnromero

adnromero

• 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm having issues with my laptop reading a Serial ATA hard drive from and old HP G600 that is in a Dynex 3.0 hard drive enclosure. I plugged it into my Asus model laptop. It initially first read the hard drive contents but eventually got to my old folders that needed permission. I can easily fix that by changing the ownership info on the folders. The issue is that at some point the hard drive failed to read at all. I'd disconnect and re-connect and my computer will attempt to access the hard drive. I can hear the hard drive disk start to spin while my laptop reads it but then the spinning noise stops and fails to be availible. The drives D and F show up as the enclosure but fail to show anything at all. HELP ME PLEASE

#2 Katy

Katy

• 56 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

Had EXACTLY the same issue for a while with a HDD enclosure. Fixed it with a short USB cable, 20 cm. Since then I helped a few friends of mine with the same advice, worked every time. Assuming the drive itself is not faulty, of course.

Edited by Katy, 23 April 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#3 adnromero

adnromero

• 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Had EXACTLY the same issue for a while with a HDD enclosure. Fixed it with a short USB cable, 20 cm. Since then I helped a few friends of mine with the same advice, worked every time. Assuming the drive itself is not faulty, of course.

A short USB cable? As in a 2.0 USB? If thats the case then i will have to get a new enclosure because the Dynex adapter is 3.0 specific.

#4 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

1. Make sure the drive is getting enough power. Make sure you are using a USB 3.0 port. USB 2.0 ports won't supply enough power unless you are using a Y-splitter type cable (with two USB plugs for extra power).

2. If it still doesn't work, test the drive in a PC with internal SATA to verify that the drive itself is working.

#5 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

The fact that the drive is spinning down upon attempts to access it sounds like insufficient power.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Vishera 6350/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/2x Radeon 7950 Crossfired
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#6 adnromero

adnromero

• 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

The fact that the drive is spinning down upon attempts to access it sounds like insufficient power.

So if the drive isnt getting sufficient power, how could I get sufficient power? The cable I use to connect the drive to my laptop is USB 3.0 and I inserted it into my USB 3.0 port. Could it just be a faulty cable or hard drive enclosure

#7 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Tried a different USB 3.0 port? Tried a different USB port in general?

How long is the cable that came with the Dynex? It is possible a shorter cable would help-- we have had issues with 6 foot cables causing similar symptoms but 3 foot ones fixing it, as you're experiencing. (YMMV, of course)

#8 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

If your USB3 ports are underpowered, or the Dynex is poorly designed power-wise, try getting a Y USB cable on eBay (EXAMPLE or EXAMPLE) - then you can draw power from two ports. Alternatively, if your enclosure has a DC power port, you can buy an AC adapter to power the drive...those are also cheap on eBay.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Vishera 6350/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/2x Radeon 7950 Crossfired
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users