• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Corsair's Obsidian Series 900D Super Tower is the manufacturer's most robust, high-end case with ten expansion slots, up to fifteen internal 3.5" drive bays, support for dual bottom-mounted power-supplies, and loads of other features for a wide-range of applications. The 900D has vaulted to the top spot as Corsair's most premium case, adding to the well-established Corsair Obsidian Series 800D. This rig is for serious builders with big projects; whether users want to build an ultimate dream PC, add state-of-the-art liquid cooling, create a monster file server, or design a workstation capable of the most challenging design tasks, the 900D provides plenty of configurable space.

Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Case Review

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

That's a very impressive case, and a good review.

I'm puzzled about the benefits of aluminum, particularly for a massive server/workstation. Not only is the case more vulnerability to cosmetic damage, but when loaded down with hard drives and extra fans I'd be concerned that the light weight would make resonant buzzing or vibration effects more likely.

Good rack mounted cases always have fans blowing over the PCIe slots to cool the RAID adapters. That would have been a good feature for a case like this to have.

On a general note, I find it odd that these types of enthusiast cases often have numerous internal racks for 3.5" drives, but relatively few externally available bays. Anyone using a 9+ hard drives is probably using hardware RAID and will want the drives in externally accessible hot-swap racks with visible activity and failure indicators. A case like this with 11 external bays would be much more versatile for massive data storage, but such cases have become rather rare.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback. The need for different drive configs is exactly why Icy Dock exists. There are of course others who do these adapters but we've always been impressed with ID's quality and flexibility in offerings. As to the case making noise, we didn't experience that, but as you can see, this build was more SSD than HDD.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

On a general note, I find it odd that these types of enthusiast cases often have numerous internal racks for 3.5" drives, but relatively few externally available bays. Anyone using a 9+ hard drives is probably using hardware RAID and will want the drives in externally accessible hot-swap racks with visible activity and failure indicators. A case like this with 11 external bays would be much more versatile for massive data storage, but such cases have become rather rare.

Indeed. I don't use RAID, but all my boxes have their drives installed into hot-swap bays. I will never go back to using "internal" drive bays. But I think the target demography of this product will have the case opened all the time anyway. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users