Samsung 840 PRO over provisioning ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 turco2025

turco2025

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hello, first of all sorry for my english.
I recently brought a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB model, by default it's has a 9-10% not available for the user and it's used ( as far as I know ) for internal use of the controller ( garbage collection, etc ).
In some articles, forums, etc people is starting to leave unpartitioned space of the disk for over provisioning via the Magician Software of Samsung. I used all the space available by the drive ( 476GB ) so I don't know if maybe i need to repartition the disk just for leaving son space for over provisioning.
I used my computer primarly for Virtual Machines, for testing, training, etc so I don't know if this over provisioning could help or not. Normally the average free space on my disk is about 20% of the total.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Either Disk Management (in Windows) or the Samsung Magician software should let you shrink your partition without deleting it. The Magician software can automatically shrink the partition by the recommended amount (usually about 10%).

Over provisioning will make the garbage collection much more efficient and help keep your drive's write speeds from slowing over time.

#3 turco2025

turco2025

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Hello ditrc70, thanks for the reply.
Right now the disk has the 10% recomended assigned, it's by default so the disk has right now 476GB for use.
My question goes if it'a really useful to add more space with the overprovisioning, I mean, the current 10% + 10% more from unallocated space ??.

Regards.

#4 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

If your OS is TRIM capable like Windows 7/8 then it is sufficient to leave some free space, like 10%. TRIM command is sent from the OS to your SSD to tell which parts are deleted and free's them. So your drive has the same amount of free usable space than with additional OP.
Repartitiong is only needed if you intend to fill your drive completely.

#5 turco2025

turco2025

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

hello Bytebite, I'm actually with only 40GB free in my disk and I think that is the average value due to the VM I will have in my system.
In this case It will necessary to add more op space ( apart from the default 10% ) ?.

Regards.

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just leave some free space on the drive and you'll be fine. If you normally have 40GB free then that's plenty.

#7 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

The articles claiming large percentages of over provisioning is advantageous actually show that unless you are exchanging mega volumes of data daily, there is no advantage in more the ~8%-10% over provisioning. Servers might benefit from increased over provisioning but few desktop/laptop users will.

#8 turco2025

turco2025

• 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Thanks a lot continuum and Beenthere for your answers !!.
I will the SSD as it is right now, with the defualt 10% as it seems is the best scenario.

Regards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users