Keep loosing MFT on WD Drives in media server

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dman535

dman535

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex 740 that I am using as a media server, that stays on 24/7. 80gig SATA for the O/S (Windows 2003) and have tried a couple of WD Drives as my media storage. The first one was a 1.5TB WD Green and without warning the MFT and its backup were toast. I was able to recover about 97% of the data on it. I replaced the drive with a WD 2.0TB Red drive and yesterday the same thing happened the MFT is gone - have not tried data recovery yet- but it looks like I will be able to get most of the data off.

I ran a full extended test on the 2.0TB Red drive and it came back 100% - no problems. When I originally installed the drive I had an issue with no data being present, I swapped SATA ports and it worked just fine. This machine has been up for over a year with no real operational.

I plan to replace the SATA cable as a precaution, but is there anything else I should do or adjust to prevent MFT loss in the future, assuming no hardware issues?
-Virus scan?
-UPS?
-Change drive write permissions?
-SATA controller driver/setting change?

Thanks,

Derek

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Something on the OS causing corruption? Or on the Dell's hardware? An Optiplex 740 is getting pretty damned old..

#3 dman535

dman535

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

The machine is a 2.6ghz dual core, 2GB ram. It doesn't do much but act as a file server for a few set-top media devices. The weird thing is - if the O/S was acting up - you would think that the primary drive that it sits on would start to be problematic. The machine boots and runs like a dream - just keeps killing the large data drive.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Any file system or cluster size differences?

Heck tried a different OS?

#5 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Do those large drives use Advanced Format (4Kn or 512e sectors)?

From MSDN: "...Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2003 R2 do not support 512e or 4Kn media. While the system may boot up and be able to operate minimally, there may be unknown scenarios of functionality issues, data loss, or sub-optimal performance. Thus, Microsoft strongly cautions against using 512e media with Windows XP or other products based on the Windows XP codebase (such as Windows Home Server 1.0, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows XP Embedded, Windows Small Business Server 2003, and Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2).

#6 dman535

dman535

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I confirmed that those drives are Advanced Format and that Windows 2003 does not like it. There is a drive alignment tool that WD offers ( I had to ask their Red tech support about it). My thinking is that I am going to change the O/S on the server to Windows 7 and not risk the data loss again. I also ordered some new SATA cables just to be sure. Hopefully that takes care of the issue.

I was surprised that Red tech support after asking me several times about what O/S I was running didn't say anything about it. I wonder how many XP users have RMA'ed a drive or lost data because of this relatively unpublished issue.

Thanks for the insight...

Derek.-

#7 dman535

dman535

• 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Well. It happened again. I didn't do an OS swap, there is a jumper on Tue drive that switches it to 4k for use with older OS machines. The mft lasted till this evening, was working fine at 8am and now its toast. The machine uses an NVIDIA 6150 chipset, any thoughts that a driver issue might be causing the problem? Time to switch to a different controller? Try a Seagate? Any ideas? Getting tired of restoring 2gb of data every 3 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users