Photo

Poll: Will we see customizable SSHDs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Will we see customizable SSHDs? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Which product features do you want to see in future SSD-HDD-hybird offerings?

1. larger selection of SSD-cache sizes (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. larger selection of overall capacities (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. user-defined rules for which "hot data" gets cached (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. thinner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. lower power-draw (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

6. other (please explain in a reply to this topic) (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cathryne

Cathryne

• 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hello!

I've been following the hybrid drive market for a few years now, and having used a 120 GB SSD, 500GB thin laptop HDD and a 750 GB Momentus XT already, I realized that there a few (IMHO) essential product features missing from the current offerings. Only talking about single drives here, not about the various methods of creating hybrid drives out of separate SSD and an HDD ;-)

Most importantly a larger selection of SSD-cache sizes: 8 GB is nice for OS & program files, but what about games? I'd like to see 24, 48 or so GB-caches.
Secondly: options for us users to tweak the algorithm/firmware that determines which "hot data" gets cached. For example: I may have some document and media files that I use often, but don't need to load super-fast from the SSD-cache. On the other hand I may have some large programs, that I rarely use, but still want cached.

What do you think? Thanks for your votes and comments!

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

The software to enable that exists already, Seagate has a way to pin files and modify caching based on different usage profiles. It is however not available to the public yet. It's ultimately something that the OS probably needs to work in.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 Cathryne

Cathryne

• 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the info. But I very much hope control over this isn't handed from the device to the OS only. I'd like to tweak it as well. An example for the level of control I mean is UltimateDefrag. They have great user-customizable rules for "hot" and "cold" data.
http://ultimatedefrag.com/manual.php (page 28 and following)

#4 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 283 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

For Windows 7
Link Shell Extension.
http://schinagl.priv...nkshellext.html

I use it for games. I install games like I normally do on a massive HHD. When I want to play a game (Something that I will be playing for the next few weeks/months), I copy the files to my SSD and then create a Junction on the HDD to the new location on the SSD. In essence this it a mount point not to be confused with a shortcut. The system sill think the files are on the HDD but the access is that of the SSD.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

I want to see higher performance. I don't care how they do it, if it's more flash or better use of the same amount of flash, or whatever...

#6 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 742 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'd like a socket for the flash cache, so that
- the user could choose the capacity himself
- the user could easily replace the flash if it's worn out
- the drive works just like a normal HDD if any part of the caching is broken
- they don't charge an arm and a leg for larger amounts of flash (like e.g. our fruity "friends" like to do)

MrS

#7 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think hybrid flash cache is a short-term occurrence during the transition to solid-state only storage. Just like the "super floppy" was at the end of the 90s.

The computer you buy today may have it, the next one that replaces it most likely will have no more spinning disks at all.

#8 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I agree ^. SSHDs are a nice idea, but the lack of customization is an issue - but for their intended market they work well.

Personally, lack of customization aside, I won't buy an SSHD until it can be defragmented without frying the NAND.

SSDs are falling price rapidly, and the standard setup will end up being an SSD and HDD combo. I don't see platters completely dying as by time we have affordable 1TB SSDs, 10TB HDDs will cost the same. The average user will probably only have an SSD, but for those of us who will never trust the "cloud", we'll always have massive platter drives...and the cloud itself will always need them.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#9 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 134 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

I don't use spinning drives in any of the machines I 'use'. The spinners are kept in a NAS server, and they hold the big data. Even with a few games on my machine, I still have plenty of space on the 256GB SSD.

Life is too short to be waiting for HDDs to do their thing.

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: i5-4690K, Z97I-Plus, H100i, Obsidian 250D, 480GB Crucial M500, 1TB WD Black, Win8.1 Pro, Hyper-V

NAS: Asustor AS-604T, 3GB RAM, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2:Intel NUC DN2820, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

#10 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't see platters completely dying as by time we have affordable 1TB SSDs, 10TB HDDs will cost the same.

I'm not so sure, that we will ever see 10 TB HDDs (3.5in), because HDD capacity is now stagnating. But I'm very sure, we will see 10 TB SSDs during this decade and later they will become affordable too.

In the 2.5in form factor HDD already lost the capacity race.

#11 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Time for a return to 5 1/4" HDDs then! Surely we could fit 10TB or 20TB in one of those with today's tech....oh wait, Quantum tried that once with the BigFoot and that flopped. Doh!

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#12 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Time for a return to 5 1/4" HDDs then! Surely we could fit 10TB or 20TB in one of those with today's tech....oh wait, Quantum tried that once with the BigFoot and that flopped. Doh!

They sold relatively well, but they were way too slow for competition.

With today's tech in 5,25" you would have to go down to 3000 rpm, which leads to performance numbers below 10 IOPS. And you still would have a big problem with vibration, thermal expansion of the huge disk platters and noise.

Despite this you can fit twelve 2.5in drives into a 5,25" full-height bay and achieve the same capacity with way better performance numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users