HDD recommendations needed for Linux

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

After more research it looks like the SCSI hard drives I had asked about in another thread will not fit my needs. So I'd like to ask for brand/model number recommendations of 500GB PATA/IDE drives known to 'just work' with Linux. I'll be using Ubuntu or Debian-based distros, if it matters. I keep finding conflicting info on Google. My first choice was WD brand, but I keep running across lots of complaints from Linux users. Guess I'd like some user recommendations for a HDD that will not give me grief. I'd like to use it in a mobile-rack, if possible.

Edited by Orinda, 09 April 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm not aware of any systematic incompatibilities from drives of that era...?!

For PATA you're pretty limited in what you can get. What issues exactly do you see?

From a good 10 years ago we ran considerable amounts of Linux-based boxes on 250GBish PATA drives without issue for many customers. My memory is fuzzy though, that was a long time ago.

#3 Valleyforge

Valleyforge

• 108 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

What? Hard-drives not working with Linux? It isn't 1998 any more. :blink:

Laptop: Dell inspiron E7440, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 mSATA, Win7 Pro
Workstation: Homebrew i3-4350, 16GB, 256GB Crucial M4, 3TB Barracuda XT, Win8.1 Pro

NAS: Synology DSM5 running on Sempron 3850, 4GB, Micron C400 265GB & 2x4TB HGST NAS

HTPC:TranquilPC ABEL H2, i3-4010U, 4GB, 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA, Win7 Pro

HTPC 2: Pentium G620 on DH61AG in Antec Euler, 4GB, 120GB Kingston V+200, Win7 Pro

#4 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Also, those cheap SATA-PATA adapters you put on the back of a SATA drive to make it an IDE drive work well....this gives you faster and larger drive options :-)

EDIT: Depending on your mobile rack model, these adapters fit right in the tray with the drive. I have a few like this.

Edited by FastMHz, 12 April 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#5 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "adapters". All motherboards under consideration have two IDE connectors, which I plan on using. One for IDE/PATA HDD, and other for IDE/PATA DVD burner. Or do you mean something else by adapters...maybe something to do with the mobile-racks?

Also, those cheap SATA-PATA adapters you put on the back of a SATA drive to make it an IDE drive work well....this gives you faster and larger drive options :-)

EDIT: Depending on your mobile rack model, these adapters fit right in the tray with the drive. I have a few like this.

#6 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Searches using 'IDE/PATA hard disk drives+Linux problems' have turned up many complaints from Linux users regarding my first choice (Western Digital). Plus I've failed to find any specific 500GB IDE/PATA HDDs that are known to 'just work' with Linux. The problems do not appear to be exactly "systematic"...but definitely quite a few. As a newbie, I definitely do not want to fool with messing with the lernel, which looks to be the more common solution. I'd rather stick to a brand/model number known to work out of the box. Anyone know of one?

I'm not aware of any systematic incompatibilities from drives of that era...?!

For PATA you're pretty limited in what you can get. What issues exactly do you see?

From a good 10 years ago we ran considerable amounts of Linux-based boxes on 250GBish PATA drives without issue for many customers. My memory is fuzzy though, that was a long time ago.

#7 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

At this point in time, such drives are probably hard enough to find you're going to need to buy whatever you can take. We ran thousands of drives of varying brands through production on Linux without any issues-- but again what I remember about 10 year old production is definitely shaky and vague memory by any standard these days. :P

Given how standard the PATA command set is, honestly, I'd say anything you buy should have good odds of working.

#8 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "adapters". All motherboards under consideration have two IDE connectors, which I plan on using. One for IDE/PATA HDD, and other for IDE/PATA DVD burner. Or do you mean something else by adapters...maybe something to do with the mobile-racks?

Adapters that convert a SATA drive to a PATA compatible drive, so that you can plug a SATA drive, which is easier to get and in larger sizes, to a standard IDE port. Click my eBay link in my previous reply to see one...

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#9 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Adapters that convert a SATA drive to a PATA compatible drive, so that you can plug a SATA drive, which is easier to get and in larger sizes, to a standard IDE port. Click my eBay link in my previous reply to see one...

Okay, that's what I thought you meant. As said, all motherboards under consideration have two IDE connector thingies, which I'd want to use, and don't foresee need to convert any SATA to PATA. One IDE/PATA HDD, and one IDE/PATA DVD burner should be plenty.

#10 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Since you mentioned mobile-racks, I'd appreciate hearing your favorite brand/model number for either SATA or IDE/EIDE hard disc drives,or both. The Icy Dock MB877SK-B I had planned to buy turned out to have awful user reviews, so I'm back to square one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users