• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

The Aberdeen AberNAS N31L is among Aberdeen's ultra-dense NAS storage arrays that are all designed to offer maximum capacity levels at more affordable prices than the upper echelon providers. The AberNAS is packed with features including capacity for up to 64TB of storage via 16 3.5" bays. The 3U form factor NAS also features Intel Xeon E5 family processors, up to 512MB RAM, and exceptional connectivity via 10GBe LAN and six standard PCI Express 3.0 slots. The Aberdeen N31L also features LSI SAS 6G RAID and extra compatibility via full support for Aberdeen's SAS 6G 4U/45Bay and 3U/28Bay JBOD for users that need to expand their array's capacity.

Aberdeen AberNAS N31L Review

#2 CacheMeifYouCan

CacheMeifYouCan

• 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

The Aberdeen AberNAS N31L is among Aberdeen's ultra-dense NAS storage arrays that are all designed to offer maximum capacity levels at more affordable prices than the upper echelon providers. The AberNAS is packed with features including capacity for up to 64TB of storage via 16 3.5" bays. The 3U form factor NAS also features Intel Xeon E5 family processors, up to 512MB RAM, and exceptional connectivity via 10GBe LAN and six standard PCI Express 3.0 slots. The Aberdeen N31L also features LSI SAS 6G RAID and extra compatibility via full support for Aberdeen's SAS 6G 4U/45Bay and 3U/28Bay JBOD for users that need to expand their array's capacity.

Aberdeen AberNAS N31L Review

This appears to be a SuperMicro chassis dressed up with different drive trays and painted black handles. In fact, after further inspection, it is, other than the GUI, which is outdated, what makes this NAS so special? It appears I can purchase the same configuration anywhere, I just won't have the black handles, silver drive trays and outdated GUI, which I can get a much better version coded in a matter of hours. Nothing proprietary here in my opinion!

CacheMeifYouCan out!

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Most NAS vendors do the same thing...but there are subtle hardware differences and certainly service is a big factor in the NAS buying decision, especially for professionals who need more than just a single head unit. 90% or more of those in the NAS space don't bend their own metal.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 CacheMeifYouCan

CacheMeifYouCan

• 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Most NAS vendors do the same thing...but there are subtle hardware differences and certainly service is a big factor in the NAS buying decision, especially for professionals who need more than just a single head unit. 90% or more of those in the NAS space don't bend their own metal.

Yes, you are correct, the exact same thing! SuperMicro, then rebrand it. In the case the Aberdeen name, black handles and silver drive trays, but again what makes this proprietary? However, I do want to add, great job on the write-up.

Edited by CacheMeifYouCan, 22 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users