• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Tripp Lite's SU3000RTXL2U is an online UPS system (uninterruptable power supply) that provides 3000VA/2500 watts of reliable battery backup for up to seven outlets. The unit sustains regulated voltage, frequency, and a pure sine wave to confine itself from power brownouts and failures. Tripp Lite specifically designed this model to protect medical equipment, wiring closets, switches, storage devices, routers, and servers from power issues that can cause critical systems to go offline. The Tripp Lite SmartOnline instantly kicks into action by continuously routing power through a double-conversion circuit, giving it a 0ms transfer time. Battery life itself is projected at 6 minutes for a full load at 2500 watts and 15 minutes for a half load at 1250 watts without additional battery packs connected.

Tripp Lite SmartOnline UPS Review (SU3000RTXL2U)

#2 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

I bet those are lead acid batteries instead of modern tech. Funny how the part# for the battery expansions don't tell anything about the chemistry except the weight and run times so you can attain approximate power density and go from there..

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I haven't come across anything that uses newer tech than lead acid when it comes to data center equipment. Its reliable, its safe, there is no weight concern to push towards newer technologies... not to mention the massive price increase that would bring.

#4 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 220 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

But what about the damage (plate etching) when they are deeply discharged? Lead acid batteries don't like to be used but I guess in data centers they rarely get run down very far. Yeah definitely cheaper to manufacture/buy

#5 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

But what about the damage (plate etching) when they are deeply discharged? Lead acid batteries don't like to be used but I guess in data centers they rarely get run down very far. Yeah definitely cheaper to manufacture/buy

Most UPS batteries last 3-5 years of service under normal use. Mine seem to always make it to ~5 years which is a reasonable lifespan all things considered.

The batteries used in a UPS are typically of the VRLA (valve-regulated-lead-acid), glass mat variety. While not super high tech these sealed batteries prevent any chance of acid leaks while providing a good number of full discharge cycles before needing to be replaced. Most UPS battery manufacturers provide extensive discharge rate data and usable cycle info. for their batteries. It is quite common for UPS batteries to be fully discharged when the infrastructure does not have stand-by generators to cut-in when the grid goes dead.

http://www.batterysp...s/CycleLife.gif

The key component in any UPS is the switching time, then the ability to correct for power surges and brown outs - all of which can cause damage to sensitive electronics. Run time for many commerical applications with a UPS is intended just to allow for powering the equipment down or until alternate power is enabled.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/VRLA_battery

Edited by Beenthere, 31 March 2013 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users