vertex 4 256 not detected mbp mid 2009

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 erick_manila

erick_manila

• 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

vertex 4 256 not detected mbp mid 2009...

new to this ssd world. i just bought a new vertex 4 256gig, and i understand that my mobo is just sata 2 and this is sata 3. it says that that is backward compatible. is there a way that i can use it as im very eager to have it on my oldie mbp. any response will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Did you initialize the drive? It will require disk utility which may be on the install media. If it is not, then you will need an external enclosure. Any cheap on should do the job. Below is a quick guide from Crucial's forum on how to initialize.

How to initialize your SSD (Mac)

Before you can use your new SSD with your Mac, you have to initialize and partition it.

Connect the SSD via USB adapter or other external connection method. When the SSD is noticed by the Mac, you will see a message telling you that the drive cannot be read by this computer. In this message, click the button Initialize.
The Crucial SSD will be listed in Disk Utility. Highlight the SSD and click the Partition tab.
Click on Options and verify that it's set to "GUID Partition Table".
Select Partition 1 if you want to use the entire SSD as a single partition, and give it a suitable name.
Verify that the selected format has defaulted to "Mac OS Ex tended (Journaled)".
Select Partition. The drive will now be partitioned and formatted.
When the Disk Utility is done, close it.

The SSD should now be visible on your desktop with the new name you gave it.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Mac/ta-p/111490

If if still doesn't see the drive with an external enclosure, you will want to find a Desktop and plug it in directly to the Sata ports and see if it gets detected. Check the BIOS and in Windows(check Window's disk management).

If it is still not detected, then it could be a lemon.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users