• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BGrigg

BGrigg

• 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my 300GB Hitachi Travelstar Z7K320 that's in the media bay of my Latitude E6420 that holds my VM's. I was thinking of putting it in an external enclosure, but I spoke with Dell and they said swapping the drive out of the media bay enclosure wouldn't void the warranty. The SATA bus is 600, so I'm hoping that I'll get a little bit better performance out of a SATA-600 drive than the existing 300 (I'm not willing to pay for SSD (which is what the primary OS drive is)). Or would another SATA-300 with a larger buffer and better seek times be more beneficial?

Also, I know "best" and "economical" don't really go together. I'm not looking for the cheapest drive out there, but I'm not going to pay for the most expensive either. Something that's reasonable that will give me room for more VM's and hopefully get me better performing VM's, but that's not going to break the bank. I looked online and see there are some drives between $100-200 (as well as some for more). So just looking for some guidance.

Thanks,
Brian

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'd recommend the WD Scorpio Black. I think it's one of the fastest laptop platter drives and it has a very good warranty.

Edited by dietrc70, 26 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#3 BGrigg

BGrigg

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'd recommend the WD Scorpio Black. I think it's one of the fastest laptop platter drives and it has a very good warranty.

Thanks, but looks like that has the same specs as my existing drive. Only thing better is seek time, but only 1ms faster (12 instead of 13). I posted on another board and someone suggested a SSD hybrid drive (Seagate Momentus), which I didn't even think of. Although he implied that since I already have an SSD (as my primary), that's not an option. So either I'm misunderstanding him in that I can't have two SSD drives in one system, OR maybe he didn't see that I was looking for a secondary drive (and not replacing my existing SSD).

#4 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I suspect the 500GB or 750GB Scorpio would be faster, but I don't know how much. You can probably find benchmarks if you look for them. Specs can be deceiving, since so much depends on the firmware, drive processor, cache controller, etc. I have doubts about whether a hybrid would be faster for your usage--they are optimized as boot drives, not for VMs.

SATA-II vs III makes no difference for platter drives. No platter drive can saturate the SATA II bus. Only SSDs benefit from the higher speed.

If your current drive is inadequate, I think you should just save up for a second SSD. Short of RAID 10 (which isn't exactly an option on your laptop), it's the only upgrade I can think of that would be sure to make a significant difference.

Edited by dietrc70, 27 March 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#5 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

IME, you simply are not going to see much difference in laptop HDD performance, especially in 2.5" drives which are painfully slow. As an example moving from a 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm 2.5" drive is almost unnoticable IME, as is significant increases in capacity. The numbers may look significant but the real world overall performance is so slow that the changes are trivial.

Hybrids are a mixed bag also but typically a little better performance than a conventional HDD. If you need large storage capacity in a 2.5" laptop HDD then you're kinda stuck with slow performance often in exchange for better reliability and compatibility than an SSD or hybrid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users