Help with installing new ssd

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobiG

BobiG

• 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

So I'll be upgrading my desktop this week with an SSD. I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb from newegg and I have a few questions. Currently I have 2 HDDs in my desktop, one is SATA 3 (disk C:\) with a windows 7 64bit on it and the other one is SATA II for storage (movies, pictures, music ect). Now the thing is I want to keep my current windows install just so I have a HDD to fall back to in case the SSD dies on me, so I want to make a fresh win7 64bit install on the SSD and I will install all my applications and games I currently play on it. My question is if there will be an issue that there will be 2 boot drives with windows 7 hooked up at the same time or can I just choose the boot drive I wish to use from the BIOS? Also will I be able the start the older games that I have installed on my C:\ HDD if windows is booted from the SSD? Another question I have is what else do I need to buy so I can hook up the SSD to my desktop? Do I need a 3.5" bracket so I can fit it in my case? Do I need to buy any cables ect.? Also do you think there is a better alternative to the 840 pro? Is Intel 520 in the same class? Reliability comes first but speed is important too.

Thanks for your help my system is:
Intel i5-2500k CPU
P67 Mobo with 2 SATA3 slots (1 available)
1TB SATA3 windows 7 64bit boot drive
750GB SATA2 storage drive
2x4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 ram
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti GPU
COOLER MASTER CM690 II Case
CORSAIR TH650 650Watts PSU

#2 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

So I'll be upgrading my desktop this week with an SSD. I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb from newegg and I have a few questions. Currently I have 2 HDDs in my desktop, one is SATA 3 (disk C:\) with a windows 7 64bit on it and the other one is SATA II for storage (movies, pictures, music ect). Now the thing is I want to keep my current windows install just so I have a HDD to fall back to in case the SSD dies on me, so I want to make a fresh win7 64bit install on the SSD and I will install all my applications and games I currently play on it. My question is if there will be an issue that there will be 2 boot drives with windows 7 hooked up at the same time or can I just choose the boot drive I wish to use from the BIOS? Also will I be able the start the older games that I have installed on my C:\ HDD if windows is booted from the SSD? Another question I have is what else do I need to buy so I can hook up the SSD to my desktop? Do I need a 3.5" bracket so I can fit it in my case? Do I need to buy any cables ect.? Also do you think there is a better alternative to the 840 pro? Is Intel 520 in the same class? Reliability comes first but speed is important too.

Thanks for your help my system is:
Intel i5-2500k CPU
P67 Mobo with 2 SATA3 slots (1 available)
1TB SATA3 windows 7 64bit boot drive
750GB SATA2 storage drive
2x4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 ram
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti GPU
COOLER MASTER CM690 II Case
CORSAIR TH650 650Watts PSU

The Easy Transfer Wizard will easily save your user profile to transfer to the new computer.

No issue with 2 boot drives.

If the game is self-contained to a folder (no registry entries, no system folder files, ect) it will run.

3.5" bracket would be ideal so the SSD doesn't damage other components in the case when moved. [I believe] All SATA cables have the same specs; a SATA II cable will support SATA III speeds.

Samsung and Intel are both reliable. I doubt there is much performance difference that you will notice.

#3 BobiG

BobiG

• 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

The Easy Transfer Wizard will easily save your user profile to transfer to the new computer.

No issue with 2 boot drives.

If the game is self-contained to a folder (no registry entries, no system folder files, ect) it will run.

3.5" bracket would be ideal so the SSD doesn't damage other components in the case when moved. [I believe] All SATA cables have the same specs; a SATA II cable will support SATA III speeds.

Samsung and Intel are both reliable. I doubt there is much performance difference that you will notice.

Thanks for the reply, so all I need is a 3.5" bracket and a regular sata3 cable (or the sata3 cable comes with the SSD?)?

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

The SSDs generally do not include cables unless they're explicitly part of an upgrade kit.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users