upgrade the HD in my 4 year old laptop

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drivesmecrazy

Drivesmecrazy

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I know I posted this somewhere else, but I was wondering if Kevin had an opinion....

I need to upgrade the HD in my 4 year old laptop. My option are ->

1 - $130 - Seagate Hybrid SSHD - 1 TB
2 - $310 - Samsung 840 SSD - 500 GB

The laptop is my only computer and I use it for everything. However, I mainly use it for ->

1 - 90% of the time - I live in my web browser
2 - 40% of the time - I download large files or use P2P
3 - 10% of the time - I use other software - eg. word, movie player, etc...

There are times when I d/l and surf at the same time - my hd is working overdrive. Othertimes, not at all.

500 GB is bare minimum, of course 1T is much better.

My question is - Do you think that the 5400 rpm of the Hybrid will have an effect on my downloading and working with large files? Would paying $180 more for a smaller SSD make a *huge* difference in my situation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I like how your usage adds up to 140%

Anyway, the hybrid idea prolongs the market for hard drives. The SSD is going to be 8-10X faster in most jobs, though the hybrid will still do fine even if you hit the platters for long sequential reads/writes. If it were me I'd go SSD, I think the benefits greatly outweigh the hard drive if you can afford it. That said, you could consider going to something a little older like the m4, Samsung 830, etc.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 Drivesmecrazy

Drivesmecrazy

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I like how your usage adds up to 140%

Anyway, the hybrid idea prolongs the market for hard drives. The SSD is going to be 8-10X faster in most jobs, though the hybrid will still do fine even if you hit the platters for long sequential reads/writes. If it were me I'd go SSD, I think the benefits greatly outweigh the hard drive if you can afford it. That said, you could consider going to something a little older like the m4, Samsung 830, etc.

The 140% was to mean that 40% of the time I would be multitasking - eg. Downloading P2P and Websurfing at the same time.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards an SSD too. But 500gb would be my minimum. Are you sure the M4 is reliable? I've read a lot of reviews about the M4 dying.

Thanks.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

when I d/l and surf at the same time - my hd is working overdrive.

I seriously doubt web browsing is impacting even a small fraction of disk use, and even on the fastest home internet links you're probably not anywhere close to even 10MB/sec (about 100mbit/sec), which any modern harddisk should have no problem keeping up with.

If you feel slowed down I would load up perfmon and check your CPU and disk usage, you may be bottlenecked elsewhere. A SSD will probably help performance-- especially subjective feel-- but you may have significant bottlenecks elsewhere you would also need to address.

#5 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

I agree, downloading and browsing should not thrash a hard drive too bad. It could be nothing more than serious fragmentation. Try throwing UltraDefrag at it.

The SSHD will handle fragmented data much better than a regular HDD, but an SSD is unbeatable in that department.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users