Synology 112 vs QNAP TS-119p ii

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gsk3

gsk3

• 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm about to purchase a NAS for my personal and home office use. I've got out down to the two models above (112 vs 119p II). The choice seems to be brand (everyone likes Synology) vs a slightly faster processor/RAM in the QNAP. I'm having a hard time choosing because it just doesn't look like much of a difference.

My first through hundredth priority is reliability. After that, speed is helpful. After that, the ability to support two users for the following:

- Separate, secure storage space
- Ideally with a cloud interface (Unix and os/x) so reach user can sync multiple computers and tablets (android and iOS)

- Media playing to my LG bluray player over the network via upnp

- Periodic backups to an attached USB drive and over the internet

- Some sort of snapshot/version control/rollback capability would be amazing, but not a deal-breaker if not available

Any wisdom to help me decide?

Thanks!

Edited by gsk3, 23 March 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

We have units from both in the office and when it comes to using one in the lab, we always choose Synology. I also run a Synology in my home for many of the duties you outlined. That said, I think both are under heavy attack from Netgear, the new OS they have and devices are pretty nice on paper, we haven't seen one yet. I'm a Mac guy and love the idea of Time Machine updates over the web, Synology and QNAP don't yet offer this. You're not going to go wrong with either, I just lean toward the feature set, app plugins and ease of use of the Synology.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 gsk3

gsk3

• 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

We have units from both in the office and when it comes to using one in the lab, we always choose Synology. I also run a Synology in my home for many of the duties you outlined. That said, I think both are under heavy attack from Netgear, the new OS they have and devices are pretty nice on paper, we haven't seen one yet. I'm a Mac guy and love the idea of Time Machine updates over the web, Synology and QNAP don't yet offer this. You're not going to go wrong with either, I just lean toward the feature set, app plugins and ease of use of the Synology.

Thanks. Just ordered the DS112. I'd rather have good software than a little more speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users