When WD red in 4TB or more?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alternety

alternety

• 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Anyone have any info on when WD might start supplying a 4TB or larger red?

I am contemplating an NAS in the not too distant future, but right now I am using a hardware RAID external box with 1.5TB drives. I use RAID 1 and after a backup swap out one of the drives. The hardware will then bring the newly inserted disk up to the current content. The removed drive goes somewhere else for storage and can be used as a standalone drive for recovery. RAID 10 looks attractive. For one more drive I eliminate the fooling around with swapping drives each time. I would need a safe to put the RAID10 box in to get the same security for a copy. I am thinking burglary rather than fire in my current approach. But fire is a consideration.

I have an aversion to Seagate in terms of reliability. This may be incorrect. I think of Hitachi and WD having reasonable reliability. But to do RAID I should probably have drives intended for that application. But 3TB drives do not seem like a reasonable upgrade from the drives I have at this time.

I am open to suggestion. Just assume I understand how much storage I will find of use.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

WD has been slow to move to the larger Red capacities I think largely because of price targets they want to hit with that particular drive.

Sine the NAS will use software RAID, you have a little more flex in the drives you use, but the Reds are designed for that duty, so that's kind of nice. We'll see if we can get any more insight from WD on the capacity bump.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 264 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Last I heard was it would be 3Q13 for WD 4TB drives to show up and 4Q13 for WD 5TB But those were for green drives
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#4 alternety

alternety

• 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks. How is Seagate reliability wise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users