Photo

Storage for Small Business ?HP/IBM/NetApp/EMC?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi there,

At first kindly excuse my failurs in english but I hope you can understand me. I'm new to this forum and I have a question I didn't found in the forum's archive yet.

I'm looking for a shared-storage for a planned environment as follows:

- 3 hosts, vmware vsphere standard 5.1
- 15 virtual machines
-- windows
-- 1x oracle db (mainly write operations)
-- several times mssql server (mainly read operations)
-- 1x ms exchange
- iSCSI or NFS preffered
- in-storage-backup-solution would be appriciated, NAS for backup is available
- at least 4,5 TB of available disk space for the VMs (all together the machines have 2,6 TB of disk space, it's expected that there is a need for another 5 vm in the next 5 years)

On the websites of the storage manufacturers I found several products but I didn't find any information how to find out what product fits best for my needs.

Can anyone help to find out which products probably perform in an acceptable way?

Thanks
L

#2 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Oh, I forgot:

- redundant power supply!
- redundant controller!

#3 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Anyone with an idea?
What do you think about IBM DS3500 or HP P2000 MSA?
What NetApp product would be compareable to these two competitors?

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

You are asking very good questions but the answer is not as clear as perhaps you would like. It sounds to me that you could run most of this in compute only, without a storage system necessarily, can you tell us more about the needs of the VMs, and what sort of budget you're working with? I don't see anything terribly difficult about what you're looking to do. Feels like you'd be at the lower end of NTAP's line, or you could even consider a NAS for these needs...or possibly even the new breed of active/passive guys like Nimble, Tegile and Starboard.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. At first I also thougt that the task could be completed without a centralized storage. But all VM have to be available 24/7 with only a minimum of downtime and as far as i know vmove and HA (or equivalent from other software manufacturers) assume a centralizes storage to provide this features.

I also thougt of a NAS-Solution but I am afraid that this would slow down the databases. I don't like that there are so many databases with similar informations but i don't have influence on this development (it's an R&D thing)

Budget for this project is not fixed yet. But I expect $30k for upgrading 2 computers as hosts, 1 new host, switches, software and storage.

Thanks for the hint for Nimble, Tegile and Starboard. I did't know them and will have a look for it.

#6 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

Has anyone an idea what Dell product would be compareable to HP P2000 MSA or IBM DS3500?

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

EqualLogic PS4110 perhaps? Pretty nice array but probably more than your budget allows.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 Linzi1980

Linzi1980

• 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for your answers!

We'll see what negotiations with management and supplyers bring.

#9 Core4Solutions

Core4Solutions

• 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

If your looking for some products with specifications for your business, check out our website! We have Dell, HP, IBM, Cisco products and much much more!
http://core4solutions.com/

#10 jmayer762

jmayer762

• 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

The product my company uses is the Advatronix Cirrus 1200.

It has 12 hard drive so that may or may not be more storage than you're looking for, but you can get it with a redundant power supply and it has a quad core Xeon 1265L processor so for all the virtual machines you're planning on running it'd probably be a good choice.

It's worked very well for us so far, been fast and reliable, we've had it for about six months. We got the version with Server 2012 Essentials and have it set up to run on a virtual machine.

If you want to check it our look at http://www.advatroni.../store/servers/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users