HDD Burn Test - DBAN, Zero Write, Surface Level Scans, OEM Software Ch

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crashnburn

crashnburn

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

HDD Burn Test - DBAN, Zero Write, Surface Level Scans, OEM Software Check?

I've had a case of HDDs failing on me so before this new 3 TB Caviar Green from an RMA goes into my NAS, I'd like to perform the most thorough tests on it possible.

Recommendations and Experiences welcome :)

#2 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 279 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Though I have not used it you may want to look at http://real-world-sy...en_manual.html. That being said, From my experiences the best thing you can do for a HDD is disable the power savings, just keep it spinning. I have found that in the past the constant spin up and spin down kills drives faster than anything I know. But that is just my opinion.
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Just run the manufacturer diagnostic... you can do more with MHDD or whatever, but honestly, you're not going to catch a huge amount more failures, at least not on a typical one-drive-example. :P

Assuming the drive arrived in an umdamaged box and you handled the drive properly you oughta be fine.

#4 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

ALWAYS TEST DRIVES BEFORE ADDING TO AN ARRAY

Agreed, manufacturer's diagnostic programs is good enough. Although, some do not have WRITE tests available.
It shouldn't be too hard to find a Windows program that will do a write test. I think HDTune Pro does.

I prefer to advocate the use of linux:

Boot to a live linux (Ubuntu, ArchLinux) and run a full write test. THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA:

badblocks -svw /dev/{HDD}

To find your hard drive {HDD}:
parted -l

Edited by erb, 24 March 2013 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users