Intel BBU

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sd760Adam

sd760Adam

• 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

I know that this is a nubie question but I am shamelessly new to RAID. At work we have older RAID adapters with Battery Backup Units, some won't re charge. Can the adapter card still hold the array settings for months while sitting on a shelf with no power? Or when the battery dies does the cache get lost and the adapter need to be reconfigured?

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

The card settings are stored in NVRAM while the battery backup is designed to retain in-flight drive cache in DRAM during a power fail. It should be fine to store settings without a battery, but honestly if you go too long you might run into issues where NVRAM on its own without usage will start to get corrupted. That last part isn't a RAID card issue, but just how things are with flash in general.

#3 sd760Adam

sd760Adam

• 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thanx for the help...very useful info. Any thoughts on using the Write Through setting as apposed to the Write Back setting? I saw an error message in the RAID bios that said " Battery discharged, switching from WB to WT" I think that's what happens when the won't recharge anymore? The RAID setttings stay intact but for how long?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users