Photo

Recommended SSDs for BitLocker? What SSD is useless for BitLocker?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bodaker

bodaker

• 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi,
I have a problem to find an answer to one simple question. I have read many posts and articles about full disk encryption (FDE) problems on the SSD but most of these posts saying different things so I am really confused.

Please can you tell what SSD drives are better for BitLocker Drive Encryption? What SSDs are worse for BitLocker? And what SSDs are absolutely useless for BitLocker?

In my company I cannot choose any model of SSD because we have a limited list of possibilities but I would like to know which SSDs are better. I do not want to get into a situation where the newly purchased disk will be for example six times slower because of the problem with BitLocker.

Thank you.
Jahn Radek

#2 jackbrennan

jackbrennan

• 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hi,
I have a problem to find an answer to one simple question. I have read many posts and articles about full disk encryption (FDE) problems on the SSD but most of these posts saying different things so I am really confused.

Please can you tell what SSD drives are better for BitLocker Drive Encryption? What SSDs are worse for BitLocker? And what SSDs are absolutely useless for BitLocker?

In my company I cannot choose any model of SSD because we have a limited list of possibilities but I would like to know which SSDs are better. I do not want to get into a situation where the newly purchased disk will be for example six times slower because of the problem with BitLocker.

Thank you.
Jahn Radek

Crucial M500 is the best choice at the moment as it support Microsoft eDrive. eDrive is essentially allowing Bitlocker to leverage the onboard hardware encryption of the SSD so it doesn't need to encrypt it in software.

That gives two very big advantages:
*Instant encryption time
*less than 2% performance loss

Recommended reading: http://www.anandtech...th-crucial-m500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users