Photo

Replaced C partition on HDD with 256Gb Samsung SSD 840 Pro. Next step?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DanG

DanG

• 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

The transition seems to have been successful. I used the Samsung data migration software to migrate the content of C over to the Samsung, which is temporarily lettered M. I made the necessary BIOS changes and am booting now from the Samsung 840 Pro, which is listed as the Active Primary.

Once I'm sure that the Samsung is functioning properly, I would like to delete the content of the old C HDD partition and merge that with D, which is on the same drive. Can I use EaseUS Partition Master (or similar software) to just convert the old C to a logical partition and give it a different letter name? I want to re-letter the Samsung as the new C.

TIA.

Edited by DanG, 08 March 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

To force Windows to use the SSD as the new C, boot without any other drives connected. It should show as C.

To repartition the HDD, the only software I trust is GPartEd in Linux...download an Ubuntu Live CD and use GPartEd to delete the old C drive and stretch the old partition into the unused space. Do this with the SSD disconnected to avoid an accident :-)

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 DanG

DanG

• 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

To force Windows to use the SSD as the new C, boot without any other drives connected. It should show as C.

To repartition the HDD, the only software I trust is GPartEd in Linux...download an Ubuntu Live CD and use GPartEd to delete the old C drive and stretch the old partition into the unused space. Do this with the SSD disconnected to avoid an accident :-)

Thanks. I haven't used Ubuntu before, but will look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users