samsung 840 120gb approx life 1year?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cactus5

cactus5

• 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

yesterday i got the samsung 840 and today when i ran the ssdready program it estimated its life at 1 year, have i done something wrong or is it supposed to be like that or is the program faulty?

Attached Files

• Attached File  ssd.jpg   96.31KB   14 downloads

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hah, never heard of that program but I'd not use it. Samsung has their own drive management software that would be more useful.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 721 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Not sure what you did to it.. but this estimate is likely wrong. Your drive is new and you've only been monitoring it for 27 mins. If any heavy activity (new program installs etc.?) was going on during this period, the software will assume it's going to stay this was, almost running your SSD full blast 24/7. Which is probably not what you're up to, otherwise you jsut bought the wrong drive ;)

MrS

#4 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Was that after running it for a day? I see the monitoring at 27minutes...

The basic features in the free version are enough for an estimate of SSD life.

1. Install ssdready, launch it in the morning and leave it open all day.
2. At the end of the day, click on the button Estimate ssd life.

When you click that button, the program will open a page on our website and show you the approximate lifetime of several solid-state drives, based on your data. We do this through a page on our website because not all solid-state drive manufacturers publish the write limits for their disks, and we plan to add more of them as we acquire such data. If you're unable to open the site on the computer for which data were collected, just write down the value for Total Writes and enter it on our website by hand (both the number and the letters after it, for example: 123 GB).

http://www.ssdready.com/ssdready/

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#5 danwat1234

danwat1234

• 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Should last for a few hundred Terabytes at least

#6 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Going along with the other above, see what the software says after average use over a month or so. Better yet, throw that software out and grab Samsung Magician and Crystal Disk Info to monitor things.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users