Samsung's acquirement of Nvelo caching and the potential impact on

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schaki

schaki

• 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Since like the middle of 2012 I was thinking about finally replace my Velociraptor WD3000GLFS (The original Velociraptor) with a SSD and very likely the the samsung 830 250gb which had good performance and decent reliability. But as I knew that there was only a minor couple of months until the announcement of the replacement, the Samsung 840 and 840 Pro, I decided to wait to at least see what it was like in comparison to the older 830.
I was rather disappointed with the small increase in performance. 250gb 830 vs 840 Pro and despite some other small though probably good improvements the 840 and 840 Pro looks like nothing more than just a small step between the 830 and some real upgrade in performance.
The price of the 840 Pro 250gb has come down here in Sweden, almost to the same lowest price, which the 830 250gb has been available to for like the last 8 months according to price-comparing sites like Pricerunner etc.

Now when Samsung acquired Nvelo (link)which is a caching maker for SSD units. Is it as I believe, that there is a bigger, more significant step up in performance to expect from the successor of the sooner or later upcoming replacement of the 840 Pro 250 and 500gb rather than the imo disappointingly small improvement btw 830 and 840 Pro 250gb?

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Samsung will be a long time still before they update their controller technology. Their drives are solid though, very good offerings in the consumer space.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 schaki

schaki

• 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Samsung will be a long time still before they update their controller technology. Their drives are solid though, very good offerings in the consumer space.

Not more than one year or possibly one and half year as longest I would assume? It seems obvious enough to me that Samsung are about to use the Nvelo development and their caching technology to increase the write and read-performance flow in their SSDs. Maybe some other things as well which I not know about as I've not read a whole lot about Nvelo just yet.
Feels like a damn waste buying a 840 Pro now, knowing that the replacement almost certainly is about to be the real upgrade from a Samsung 830 250 gb that the 840 pro should have been.
Well. I'll think about what to do even though I've not dismissed the 840 Pro entirely just yet. But certainly I would prefer to buy the real upgrade.

#4 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 62 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

The biggest performance steps are already done, the further steps should much smaller than the ones before. This will change first with new technology, like the replacement of flash with other non volatile RAM.
For now Samsung 840 Pro is a really fast drive and it is faster then the 830.
If you want you can always wait for new upcoming products and technologies, but sometime it is worth just to buy. If you already have a Samsung 830 then you're right it is maybe a good idea to wait for next generation, but this something you can do most for most categories, like smartphones or CPUs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users