• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaNiC

DaNiC

• 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I've recently picked up a new Lenovo Y580 laptop which is really just great.
Seeing as how it's a work/gaming laptop I got a nice cooling pad to go along with it.

Now usually while being idle most of the parts run rather cool, 35C-45C. (HDD usually starts off really low then sits at around 34C-37C area)
If I decide to run a game the HDD temperature usually spikes up to about 45C-48C and takes a while until it comes down.

Taking into consideration that I won't be gaming ALL the time but when I do i'd reckon I do so for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours would you say that these temps are reasonable?

After doing some research I read that it was someones bright idea (the designer of the laptop) to stick the HDD slot next to the CPU and GPU. :blink:<_<

There is an option to move the HDD to where the optical drive sits and in turn ditching the OD all together, I guess it would result in lower temps but i'd rather not void my warranty just yet..

Forgot to mention that the HDD is a Seagate 1TB 5400RPM..

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Those are similar to the HDD temps I had on my T530 before upgrading to an SSD. Those aren't ideal temperatures, but they are within specs and nothing to worry about, especially since your idle temps are very good. I'm actually impressed by your idle temps. I got the high temps all the time, but I had a 7200RPM disk.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

As long as you're within spec, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 Beenthere

Beenthere

• 178 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Laptop CPU temps always run higher than similar desktop CPU temps. In fact CPUs designed for use in laptops typically have a minimum max operating temp of 70C and can go as high as 100C. Your temps are normal and towards the low end of typical laptop temps.

The HDD is not a big heat producer. The CPU is the primary heat producer and any add-in GPU card. I would not move the HDD to possibly lower the temps by 1C.

Edited by Beenthere, 27 February 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#5 DaNiC

DaNiC

• 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Why would you think that the temps would go down just by 1C?
I was expecting more of a drop of like 5-10C..

After a while of gaming the right side of the laptop is pretty warm while the left is relatively cool..
It'd make sense to me that barely any heat reaches that area so i'd be looking at much lower idle and load temps.

Surely moving the HDD away from it's deadly sandwich between the CPU and GPU should yield some results?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users