• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Etweb

Etweb

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi guys,

I have following problem with my WD red 3 TB hdd which I wanted to use as a pure storage drive only (exFAT)

Added WD red to my system,l everything worked fine, migrated some data onto it. After 24-48 h I restarted my computer and then it could not get beyond or even into BIOS with the hdd connected. I tried a USB to SATA adapter but no success either.

Any other harddrive just works.

So the funky thing now is that the exact same thing happened to me a week ago, I had the harddrive replaced by amazon and now it happened again (maybe same batch, I failed to record the firsts S/N). The previous time I used it on a Biostar H77MU3 which I replaced because I suspected it might have had a part with these problems - but now it looks like it did not. The gigabyte I am using now has a nicer layout so no big loss.

I bought the WD red because of the warranty and because I hoped for better data security. Thats why I paid the premium for the WD red line. I called the support but they were poor, wanted to tell me that it s not supposed to be used on a computer (hell, please what do you think a NAS device is...?) and asked me if I am sure my mainboard supports 4k (which it does of course... besides I was able to use both for 24h with no problems).

Anybody any ideas? I could not find somebody with a similar problem so far.

PC - Specs:

i7 3770
2 x 8 GB DDR Hyper X 1600Mhz
Gigabyte B75M-D3P
OS are on WD Scorpio blue (500 GB, 2.5" )
Supermico Server Case
300 W 80plus PSU

Mac OS ML as Hackintosh
Ubuntu 12.10

edit: Both drives did spin up when connected to power, so not a broken diode or fried motor...

Edited by Etweb, 23 February 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Probably just a bad batch of drives. It sounds like you've narrowed down the problem to the drive. I do remember seeing a fairly high number of negative reviews of the very large Reds for issues like this. The Red line is fairly new and WD may still be working out the glitches.

FWIW, if you want the best WD drives for reliability, I'd recommend the RE series, followed by the Caviar Black. (Both have 5 year warranties)

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Are you seeing anything in SMART data before the BIOS lock happens? It sounds like a compatibility problem, though odd that it would work for a while then stop, so perhaps it is a bad batch as you say. Hard to tell from here. To be fair though, these drives are designed for NAS so I wouldn't expect much support from WD for your use case.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 734 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

What happens if you connect the drive via the USB to SATA after you're in your OS? Can you read out SMART values?

We've recently had a current SUSE corrupt a WinXP NTFS on an external HDD by writing some files.. but this wouldn't prevent the system from booting. Anyway I'd want to try it under Win, just to exclude any Linux-strangeness.

MrS

#5 Etweb

Etweb

• 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

What happens if you connect the drive via the USB to SATA after you're in your OS? Can you read out SMART values?

We've recently had a current SUSE corrupt a WinXP NTFS on an external HDD by writing some files.. but this wouldn't prevent the system from booting. Anyway I'd want to try it under Win, just to exclude any Linux-strangeness.

MrS

Hi, thank you all for your answers.

I cannot get into BIOS with the drive connected, nor past (post) it. Also I cannot see the drives when I use the usb to SATA adapter. Just as if there are none connected, even if the motor spins up and all the sounds it makes, sound normal.

The second drive that broke I only used as storage, no fancy formating, the whole drive was one partition exFAT. I cant give SMART values as they wont connect.

I had one person suggest it might be the PSU (even though nothing else failed and I would imagine the motor or the board would fry and I could no observe any of that.) It s not really a super cheap PSU (80lus, bronze by Ablecom - OEM quality - completely new), but just in case I ordered a Seasonic 350W 80plus Gold. I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around this as it seemed unlikely to have a hdd fail on me twice in such a short time. Maybe it really was a faulty batch but my trust in these WD reds is really diminished now. I just could not find anybody commenting on a similar failure case, but maybe in a NAS the hardware will still boot and only show the disk as broken.

I sent the second hdd back to Amazon. Maybe I will check out the WD RE series, but I am not set on WD alone. It seems as if the market got really small, especially if one likes to have longer warranty periods.

Thank you all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users