OCZ Vertex 2SE or 750GB Seagate 750GB MomentusXT Hybrid SATA III 32MB

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryancope123

ryancope123

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hi guys i have a question i have a Seagate 750GB MomentusXT Hybrid SATA III 32MB Cache

750GB Seagate ST750LX003 Momentus XT Hybrid Solid State 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache

but also just got a spare OCZ VERTEX 2SE 50GB

Question is which is faster at booting the OS? and are there any differences in read/write speeds? i have had a look but can't figure it out?

Big thankyou in advance.

#2 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 721 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

The Seagate is only fast when data comes out of its 8 GB NAND Cache, or for purely sequential access (which normal use isn't). For anything featuring any kind of random access the OCZ is worlds ahead of the Seagate upon 1st use (i.e. data not in the 8 GB cache) and should be a bit faster if the Seagate can fetch data out of its cache.. basically both would be "fast enough" in this case.

The OCZ gives you more consistent performance, while the Seagate gives you more space. Your choice!

MrS

#3 ryancope123

ryancope123

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi thank you for the feedback I have a Asus G74sx it currently has 2 hybrid 750's so I will change one for the vertex in terms of speeds of a SSD what's the vertex 2 actually like? In comparison to let's say the latest ssd's e.g Samsung 840, thanks again in advance

#4 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 721 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Personally I think the Sandforce I (used in the Vertex 2SE) is still quite fast, even in the 64 GB / 50 GB configuration. Newer drives will be faster in benchmarks on SATA 3 ports, but with SATA 2 they're pretty much limited by the interface. Incompressible (i.e. compressed videos, music etc.) sequential write is not a strength of your SSD (small size -> few NAND chips), but it's not worse than your Seagates.

In practice you'll probably be CPU-limited in application installs and load times with the Vertex 2SE. And if files fly at >100 MB/s is not going to make an easily percievable difference if a faster drive could push 200 or 300 MB/s. It's the single-digit transfer rates of HDDs (in somewhat-random acess patterns like installations and application launches) which we really need to avoid.

MrS

Edited by [ETA]MrSpadge, 24 February 2013 - 04:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users