• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

The Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5" hard drive line is the newly rebranded family of high capacity hard drives of which the Constellation ES.3 is the newest member. The ES.3 is a 7,200 RPM, 3.5" enterprise hard drive with SAS or SATA 6Gb/s interface that's offered in capacities up to 4TB. Seagate didn't just bring a capacity bump to the line though. Compared to the prior generation Constellation ES.2, the ES.3 offers a sustained data rate of 175MB/s, up 13%, and Seagate has doubled the cache from 64MB in the ES.2 to 128MB in the ES.3.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD Constellation ES.3 Review

#2 kristofferjon

kristofferjon

• 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Any chance of comparing the Seagate Constellation ES.3 2/3TB SAS against the Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2/3TB SAS drives?

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 724 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Looks like a really nice drive!

Some graphs look weird for the ES.2 (8k 70% read 30% write throughput, File Server throughput), as if it wasn't using NCQ at all. Web server throughput looks normal again, though. Anyway.. it's in these 2 weird tests that the ES.2 features a really small standard deviation. And since it'S performing pooly on an absolute scale I don't think this "advantage" is worth anything. Or put another way: I don't think the ES.3 is any worse here than the other drives.

MrS

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Any chance of comparing the Seagate Constellation ES.3 2/3TB SAS against the Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2/3TB SAS drives?

We have requests in with Hitachi and Toshiba to get the latest generation of their respective SAS drives. Waiting...

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Looks like a really nice drive!

Some graphs look weird for the ES.2 (8k 70% read 30% write throughput, File Server throughput), as if it wasn't using NCQ at all. Web server throughput looks normal again, though. Anyway.. it's in these 2 weird tests that the ES.2 features a really small standard deviation. And since it'S performing pooly on an absolute scale I don't think this "advantage" is worth anything. Or put another way: I don't think the ES.3 is any worse here than the other drives.

MrS

The ES.2 is definitely an oddball in our lab. We have two revisions... well one with fw 001 and another with fw 002, both have prescan disabled and their performance is incredibly low and flat-lined. The interesting part though it is affects mixed workloads with some write, but not 100% read/write random 4k as much. Its like it was overly tuned for a specific type of data pattern. In any event the ES.3 is leaps and bounds better across the board ;)

#6 kristofferjon

kristofferjon

• 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

We have requests in with Hitachi and Toshiba to get the latest generation of their respective SAS drives. Waiting...

I have both the Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 and Toshiba MK2001TRKB 2TB SAS drives here, not much good to you here though hey :)

#7 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

ES.3 is 800GB/platter? :( Man... was hoping it'd be 1TB/platter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users