Is upgrading my Dell possible?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 foolery

foolery

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi folks, and thanks for the forum. I have a Dell XPS 720 that is starting to show its age performance-wise (I do a lot of video editing which is demanding of processor and drives). I currently have four 1TB drives in my internal bays, all are SATA II connectors. My question is if I purchased an SSD to serve as my OS drive, will I be able to connect it (to the motherboard and power) using my current cabling? Do these function exactly like a "normal" hard drive (meaning will my BIOS recognize it, etc.)? If not, how much of a ha$$le is it getting this new technology to work with my older system? Thanks for the advice! Tom

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

As long as you are using ahci or Intel raid mode, and running Windows 7 or 8 you should have no problem with installing and running a SSD.

#3 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yep. Also looks like the XPS 720 motherboard has 6 sata ports, so you should just need an extra sata cable(get them at monoprice or amazon).
If the PSU doesn't have have an extra sata power cable, see if you have an extra molex cable(4 pin) unused and get a female molex to sata cable.

http://support.dell....EN/NP756A00.pdf
(page 89 shows the motherboard)

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#4 foolery

foolery

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Great! Thanks for the rapid replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users