• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 agapetos

agapetos

• 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I guess I too am jumping on the quest for answers on SSD speeds less than expected.

My mobo is p5q deluxe (Asus) with sata 2 only. I added the Silverstone SST-EC05 Dual Internal SATA 6Gbps Port PCI Express Card
and had hoped for some decent speeds. I had a samsun 830 installed at one point
and I was able to tweak it up to around 350 Mbps and was still a bit disappointed.

I sold that SSD to a friend who was super eager to get one in his laptop and
went back to regular drive until I decided it was time to do a SSD again.
I cloned the HDD to the SSD which may be an issue?

I installed the PCI-E card according to the manufacturer and noticed that
in my BIOS it is set for IDE....I don't have a setting in my BIOS to change the PCI-E card
settings but perhaps there is an utility for that? Didnt find anything on the
website let alone any support.

I AM using a sata 3 cable FYI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah so both ATTO and HD tune runs at around 160 Mbps right now.
If I attach the SSD to the onboard sata 2 I run about 280 Mbps.

Please help if you can thank you!!!

Michael

#2 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

One user review on Amazon states:

"This card works fine with conventional/older drives. It has the advantage of using conventional AHCI drivers (from Microsoft or Marvell) or Marvell's SCSI drivers (the latter is a huge plus for hot-swap).

HOWEVER, and it's a big however, I have spent the last several weeks trying to get SATA6 drives to work (namely SSDs), and they just plain don't. I've used all 3 types of drivers on Vista and Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit, and I consistently get massive crashing, hanging, read/write errors, and so-on.

In sum, it works with older SATA2 (3 Gbps) drives and SSDs just perfect, but I did not buy a SATA2 card."

Another says:

"Only runs at 2.5 gb/s. Silverstonetek answers the phone but can't figure out how to make it go the full 5.0gb it's advertised at. I'm going to give tech support one more call and if no answer...i'm returning the product."

It may be that particular card just sucks.

#3 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

Usually the integrated SATA controller has enough or more performance on random IO operations. Only sequential reads and writes are affected when using a SATA 3 Gb/s controller. If you try you SSD with internal controller please set to AHCI.

#4 agapetos

agapetos

• 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I got a replay back from Silverstone telling me to update my BIOS....so I did, but it made no difference.

The SATA 3 add on card still runs at 160 average but my onboard SATA 2 is about 280.
I am aware that those numbers are by for not enough info to determine the real IO speeds
but as a comparison it is clear that something is not right.

The drive is attached as storage not OS at this point.

I wish I had the money to upgrade my mobo to something with sata 3 onboard but
I would have to get CPU and memory as well and it adds up quickly.

I am hesitant to buy another PCI-E add on card but its the solution I can afford.
Found a few cards but they all seem to have reviews that is somewhat discouraging to me.

Anyways, I am going to reinstall windows on the new drive from scratch and see if I can make a difference that way.
Oh I also will try Linux to see if there is a difference.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Mike

#5 rugger

rugger

• 724 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah so both ATTO and HD tune runs at around 160 Mbps right now.
If I attach the SSD to the onboard sata 2 I run about 280 Mbps.

First of all, you are limited to PCI-e version 1 on that motherboard for the 1x slots, so your Silverstone card is currently Limited to 160megabytes per second.

Even on a PCI-e version 2 motherboard, you would still be limited to just a bit over 300meg per second.

Thirdly, the Marvell chipsets, which the Silverstone card is based on, are pretty slow compared to the built in Intel SATA.

So basicly, what I am saying, is that the Sivlerstone card is useless for what you want, and just to plug your SSD into the motherboard. When you get some money, upgrade to a new SATA 6 motherboard. Also make sure you use AHCI mode.

#6 agapetos

agapetos

• 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Rugger:

thank you. Thats what I came up with also, except that in several places I found
people stating that the PCI-E (x1) should have plenty of bandwidth to handle 500 Mbps.

However I think you are right according to this: http://serverfault.c...1-x4-x8-and-x16

I wonder how come they make a sata 3 card claiming full speeds when the slot it is made for is limited to 200 Mbps?
Seems pointless.....

But in any case I appreciate you clarifying this as I was going crazy over this.
Do you know if this add on card is dual direction or not? I might be able to put it
in a 4x PCI-E slot that I have available? (Edited) Ooops just saw it is single lane so nvm.

Thanks again you are awesome!

Michael

Edited by agapetos, 20 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#7 persis

persis

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Solution)

Initially I had the same problem where the speed was set to 2.5G. The way to fix it was to instead of connecting it to a PCIX x1, I connected the card to PCIX x16 and set the speed of the PCIX x16 to x8(it was initally set to x1) and that bump the speed to 5G.

Now my problem is that I can't boot from my SSD which is connected to silverstone sst-ec05 card !

Question)Was anybody able to boot from this card?

After doing a bit more digging, I relized this card does not recocnize my SSD. I have a Kingstone HyperX 240GB and that is the only drive this card does not recognize. I can boot to every other hard drive on my system though.

Question)Did anybody had problem with the card not recognizing your SSD?

Solution)

I solved this problem too. It didn't recognize my SSD because I was using a SATA II cable. As soon as I use a SATA III, my SSD is recognized and is set to 6GBs ( 5GBs in practice since PCIX ver.2 x1 only goes that far). Now the card recognizes my SSD and it is listed in the bood drives in my motherboard's BIOS.

Now the problem is that the SSD is connected as IDE and not AHCI. My motherboard BIOS also confirms that !

So the next question is how to set it to AHCI? I need to figure that out otherwise windows won't boot from SSD .

So here is the final update:

I cloned my SSD to an HDD. When connected to the sst-ec05 card, HDD can boot to windows but not the SSD. Also, I benched both the drives while connected to the controller card (sst-ec05) using HD Tune Pro and I get rediculous low speeds. The HDD read tops at 3MB/s and SSD at 30MB/s

I am not going to spend more time on this card. I'll return it today !

Edited by persis, 02 November 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yep, return the card, just use the built-in Intel SATA ports... should still give you better performance (even if it's limiting you on sequential reads/writes) overall.

#9 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Add-in cards have their own BIOS, which is where you'd change the AHCI/IDE settings.  There should be a keystroke you can make while the system is POSTing to access this BIOS.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#10 persis

persis

• 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

So I purchased a SATA III controller card recently which is working like a charm for me !

here is the link: http://dx.com/p/2-po...sion-card-91095

It is only $15 dollars !

It is bootable, only adds a few seconds to the boot time and I can hit 380MB/s at read and 350MB/s at write on my Kingstone HyperX 240GB SSD drive.

Here is some benchmarks I ran:

50fu.png

#11 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Any idea what chip that card users? That woudl be very useful to know...

#12 persis

persis

• 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

It has an ASMEDIA 106x (1061) on board.

I also came across a fairly new chip from Marvell.

Look up controller cards with Marvell 88SE9230. They employ PCI-E 2x v2.0 (which can transfer data as fast as 10Gb/s). This will result the card to fully support the SATA III speeds which is 6Gb/s max.

This one has the Marvell 88SE9230 on board :

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16816124056

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users