Advanced power management problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 K15

K15

• 389 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have a laptop with a 750GB Hitachi hard drive. HTS547575A9.

I noticed when the laptop is on without anything happening, the heads will unload, the disks start spinning down, then they spin up again right away and the heads load back on the disk. It's about 5 seconds or so. "Click, spindown, spinup, click" Then in about 10-20 seconds, it does it again. The laptop is only about 8 months old and I'm at 35,000 load/unloads on the heads.

I tried using HDDscan to disable advanced power management. It seems to work until I put the laptop into sleep or shut it down, then the hard drive reverts to APM enabled at 128.

Any ideas? Is APM the problem? How do I disable it permanently?
Posted Image

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

It smells like a Windows power management or a drive power management issue. Time to open a support ticket with Hitachi. 35,000 load cycles in 8 months is :ph34r:

#3 K15

K15

• 389 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I thought there should be a way to force APM to stay disabled. Can anyone confirm that this should be the case, and how I might do this? I already have windows set to "never" power down the hard drive.

According to the drive specs, it has an adaptive method to changing between power states. This doesn't make sense then because if it's intelligent, it wouldn't constantly park and unpark the heads. Could the windows event log help me figure it out?
Posted Image

#4 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

You may be able to forcibly disable power management in the BIOS settings. It would be useful to know if the problem is with the drive, the PC, or Windows. Do you have another drive you could install in the laptop and install Windows to? My guess is that the drive is faulty, and contacting Hitachi sounds like a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users