Photo

Most reliable company for external hdds?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 potato

potato

• 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi all, it's been years since I read up about hard disks again so I'm a bit behind the times.

The last time I recalled(5 yrs ago), WD was a pretty good company. However, I've recently read that lately, hdds from many manufacturers are dying far more quickly(probably less testing and less quality parts).

So, which companies are most reliable now? I'm looking to get an external hdd though not more than 2TB as I heard they start failing, the more platters they have. I know of Samsung, Toshiba, Seagate and WD.

Edited by potato, 12 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I've always had doubts about the quality of store-bought external hard drives. I'm sure some of them are quite good.

I prefer to buy enclosures and hard drives separately. Most enclosures with good reviews on Newegg are decent. (i.e. Silverstone and Thermaltake)

The best SATA hard drives in my opinion are:

1. The Western Digital RE series
2. The Western Digital Caviar Black
(Both have five-year warranties.)

There are lots of crummy hard-drives made today, but usually the ones sold with longer warranties (like 5 years) are intended for enthusiast/business use and have greater quality control.

#3 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I agree, build it yourself...and if the drive will be moved a lot, use 2.5" drives, rather than 3.5" drives. They're designed to be moved/banged around a bit more than their desktop cousins.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#4 potato

potato

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thanks all for your replies! :)

I've done some hard thinking over the days and decided that yes, I'll follow your advice.

Also and sadly, in Singapore, I doubt we get Silverstone or Thermaltake enclosures. I'll look around again but we get mainly Vantec and a few other brands.

In the end, it looks like WD is still quite good though the quality here seems to be declining by quite a lot. Hitachi seems to be 2nd choice here.

#5 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I bet you won't have any trouble finding an excellent enclosure in Singapore! Many of the different brands are made at the same factories, and some are better quality than others. Vantec is good in my experience, and online reviews can be helpful in identifying the best ones that are available to you. Be sure to get one with a USB 3 connector so you can access the disk at full speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users