Crucial v4 CT256V4SSD2 Very Slow after Drive Cloning

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IN-NO-V8

IN-NO-V8

• 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I have recently aquired an SSD, I am running windows 8. My C drive was failing, on a 150GB HDD, and I was worried about doing a fresh installation of windows before my C drive failed, so I used Acronis True Image Home 2013 to clone the drive. Cloning went smoothly, but boot up initially was problematic with multiple BSOD ntfs.sys failures. I ran system optimization with the windows boot disc I created and it seemed to fix the problems, but my system has very quickly slowed down to a snails pace.

I have correctly aligned the ssd, enabled ahci, trim is enabled, but my system performance information has only improved from 5.7 to 5.9 on its slowest attribute, the data transfer rate.
Still running AS SSD, its taking 30 mins plus to read the drive so far, and I am only up to the second line, but I have included a screenshot of the seq read and write speeds, which you can see is very much below standard benchmarks for this drive.

Posted Image

Heres my SIW general stats:

QuickReport from System Information for Windows (http://www.gtopala.com) Tuesday, January 29, 2013
System Vendor
Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
Serial Number None
Model H55 HD

BIOS Information
Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
Version 080015
Board Product ID H55 HD

Processor Information
Summary 1 Physical Processors / 4 Cores / 4 Logical Processors / 64 bits
Name Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
Vendor GenuineIntel
Original System Clock 133 MHz

Storage Device Information
Disk 0 2000.3 GB WDC WD20EARS-22MVWB0 Western Digital
Disk 1 256.0 GB V4-CT256V4SSD2
Disk 2 1000.2 GB WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 Western Digital
DVD Writer 0 PIONEER BD-RW BDR-205 PIONEER

Memory Information
Slot 1 DDR3 (PC3-12800) 4096 MBytes PDP Systems
Slot 2 DDR3 (PC3-12800) 4096 MBytes PDP Systems

Display Adapter Information
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1023 MBytes

Sound Adapter Information
NVIDIA High Definition Audio NVIDIA
USB Audio Device (Generic USB Audio)
Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek

Network Adapter Information
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller WIRED Connected [100 Mbps]

I thought I would see some decent, if not dramatic improvements after installing an SSD. I know drive cloning isnt ideal, but even so, this is generally miserable, I am ready to throw the drive out of the window!
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated please, thanks in advance

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Leave the computer on at the login screen for a few hours and see if it gets better.

Also, 'storahci' suggest Microsoft's sata drivers, so try Intel's RST drivers.

Check if the same thing happens in Safe Mode.

See if you can try a clean/fresh install and see if you can use the SSD on another computer(desktop or notebook). Other than that, it could just be a compatibility issue with the SSD or just some QA issue(the phision controller may just not be able to cut it).

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 IN-NO-V8

IN-NO-V8

• 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Leave the computer on at the login screen for a few hours and see if it gets better.

Also, 'storahci' suggest Microsoft's sata drivers, so try Intel's RST drivers.

Check if the same thing happens in Safe Mode.

See if you can try a clean/fresh install and see if you can use the SSD on another computer(desktop or notebook). Other than that, it could just be a compatibility issue with the SSD or just some QA issue(the phision controller may just not be able to cut it).

Thanks for your response. I have changed to Intel's drivers, seems to improve, also seem to improve after being on for a while (why is that?) but still relatively sluggish, especially the browsers, for some reason (dont know if thats related, but the browsers were the worst affected after the drive cloning.) I know the ssd drive is limited to SATA II, 3G, on my motherboard, so what kind of speeds should I be getting? Still doesn't feel like a speed bump over a HDD. Heres the new AS SSD benchmark. Any further thoughts/suggestions?

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by IN-NO-V8, 30 January 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#4 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 63 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

I would try a fresh install, to see if it improves much more. Your 4k numbers are much too low, nowadays high end ssds have over 300 MB/s for the 4k-64 workload and not 1.14, which more seems like an hdd number.

#5 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

The Crucial V4 uses a very slow Phison controller that's probably better suited for flash media than internal drives. I know; I have a Corsair Nova2 with the same internals as your V4. The controller really cannot keep up and does indeed need some time to catch up periodically. For example, installing Windows or service packs brings my Nova2 to its knees. It is a joke of an SSD. The only place in my house where I can tolerate it is using it for a storage server boot drive (WHS, FreeNAS, etc). It's not even useful as a VM-hosting drive. My advice is to throw the v4 out the window and get a m4 for a few dollars more. Newegg has 256 GB m4 for ~$160 right now.

It's not SSD's -- it's the SSD you picked, unfortunately. I knew this would happen when I heard about the ill-advised v4 for the first time. You've done everything you can do for it -- the v4 is always going to be painfully slow, and it will leave you in the same boat as spinning media -- always waiting on your storage subsystem.

And for the record, I bought my Nova2 for amusement purposes. After reading a review of a Phison-controlled SSD here at SR, I couldn't believe it was really that bad. I wanted to see for myself, and boy have I. I can't wait for the last few months of warranty to expire so I can start experimenting with this SSD and physics.

#6 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

And one last note, that Phison controller spends A LOT of time doing garbage collection, probably because the controller itself is so underpowered and overmatched. If you use your system consistently, this GC process is almost perpetual, making your system unresponsive. About the only way for the Phison controller to catch up is to leave it idle for an hour or more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users