• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teitolindo

teitolindo

• 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Good day!

this is my 1st post so Hello World! :)

few days ago I was really shocked by the poor performance of WD Caviar Green 1Tb (i tested them using dd and find out they have performance equal to 5400rpm Hitachi "somedisk"..)

i decided to give them back and now im lookin' for different class.

i know they are all good BUT I would ask you what's' the best choice among the following:

SEAGATE - Constellation ES 1 Tb Sata 6 Gb / s 3,5" Buffer 64 Mb 7200 Rpm
SEAGATE - Barracuda 7200.14 1 TB Sata 6 Gb / s 3,5" Buffer 64 Mb 7200 rpm
WESTERN DIGITAL - WD Black 1 TB Sata III 6 Gb / s 3,5" Buffer 64 Mb 7200 rpm

I'm not an expert so i hope you can help me.

bye! :D

#2 s_a_r99

s_a_r99

• 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

If the drives are going into a NAS box, the WD RED drives are you best choice for the $. They are designed for NAS applications. Yes, they spin at 5x00 rpm, but in a NAS environment going to a 7200 rpm drive gives no appreciable performance increase.

#3 teitolindo

teitolindo

• 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

If the drives are going into a NAS box, the WD RED drives are you best choice for the $. They are designed for NAS applications. Yes, they spin at 5x00 rpm, but in a NAS environment going to a 7200 rpm drive gives no appreciable performance increase.

Thanks for your replay,

i don't have $ problem and i have a gigabit nas, i really don't need those wd red.. i think they are like caviar green.. i want a 7200 rpm not 5*00.

thanks anyway! :)

#4 IanKen

IanKen

• 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for your replay,

i don't have $ problem and i have a gigabit nas, i really don't need those wd red.. i think they are like caviar green.. i want a 7200 rpm not 5*00.

thanks anyway! :)

Well if money is not an issue then just get any flavor of enterprise class disk.

And FWIW, in a decent NAS even the 5400 units will saturate a gigabit link. I run five Samsung HD204UI 5400RPM units on an Areca 1230 controller in a 2K8 server and I can easily stomp the network bandwidth. The disks are not a bottle neck.

#5 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

If you think the Reds wouldn't be fast enough then I recommend the WD RE series. They cost more, but are extremely fast and like the Reds, are designed for 24/7 usage.

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

7200 RPM drives in a NAS add performance but there are few use cases that justify it, especially compared to the power use, thermals, etc. In our small NAS reviews (under 8 bays) we test with Reds and 4TB Ultrastars and while there is a significant performance difference, the "felt performance" is similar.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users