• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Micron Technology has announced the M500 SSD, which utilizes 20nm Micron MLC NAND flash to maximize storage density for ultrathin applications. Built by Micron, the M500 will be available to consumers under the Crucial brand and OEM customers with a Micron badge. The 960GB Crucial M500 SSD will initially be priced under $600.

Micron and Crucial M500 SSDs Announced with up to 960GB Capacity

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

So this one replaces the M4? I assume it's no longer the Marwell-powered?

#3 mike2h

mike2h

• 256 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

So this one replaces the M4? I assume it's no longer the Marwell-powered?

was wondering about that myself. since its not mentioned, and the chipset is blurred out in that part of the pic i would say you r right. tho i dont understand why the type of controller is not given.

Edited by mike2h, 10 January 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

It is indeed Marvell, 9187.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 264 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Is this also using the new NAND that internally Stripes read/writes to the performance of the individual chips is like 250/150MB not the typical 40/10?
Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#6 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

It is indeed Marvell, 9187.

Weird, they are the second vendor to use it in a commercial product, one year after the announcement, and they are not following the capacity specs. Must be really custom firmware, and I don't like it already.

#7 mike2h

mike2h

• 256 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Weird, they are the second vendor to use it in a commercial product, one year after the announcement, and they are not following the capacity specs. Must be really custom firmware, and I don't like it already.

why?
and im pretty sure both ocz(being the controller sluts they are;))& plextor are using it.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

All the Marvell drives use firmware customized by someone...it's less standard than say the SandForce firmware build. I generally like it as it gives SSD guys room to show chops with firmware/software which can have a lot of advantages. I think this is also hard, which is why we rarely see small companies without engineering skill using Marvell silicon.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

All the Marvell drives use firmware customized by someone...it's less standard than say the SandForce firmware build. I generally like it as it gives SSD guys room to show chops with firmware/software which can have a lot of advantages. I think this is also hard, which is why we rarely see small companies without engineering skill using Marvell silicon.

Corsair (and their SSD crew is like 2.5 people total) used it in their Performance Pro line (now discontinued) but it was a very nice drive, actually the best all-around drive beating the living sh*t out of overrated M4 and most of SF-based drives. And it never went beyond v1.0 firmware in its lifetime.

why?
and im pretty sure both ocz(being the controller sluts they are;))& plextor are using it.

True, with OCZ it's two vendors :D

Edited by ChrisMcPole, 11 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#10 mike2h

mike2h

• 256 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

with ocz it makes 3 - ocz, crucial, & plextor. just fyi ;)

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Corsair (and their SSD crew is like 2.5 people total) used it in their Performance Pro line (now discontinued) but it was a very nice drive, actually the best all-around drive beating the living sh*t out of overrated M4 and most of SF-based drives. And it never went beyond v1.0 firmware in its lifetime.

The Corsair example is unique actually since that drive was actually made by Lite-On, who makes Plextor's drives (the two companies are part of the same conglomerate). Corsair was actually in our lab recently, I assure you that the crew is larger than 2.5 people, but small compared to the major guys that have fabs.

Incidentally, this is part of the reason that we only cover 10 SSD brands on the consumer side. We need to be sure that the companies are capable of not only selling drives in the US, but supporting them and knowing what they're selling too. As I'm sure most of you know, there's a wide chasm between those who can and those who get baffled when we start asking probing questions.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users