drobo 5n, other?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 routing

routing

• 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Couple of questions to the NAS experts here.

Relevant notes:
My 4 bay gen 2 w/ droboshare died recently, and to be really honest it never worked especially well. Seemed like the droboshare was a hack of a solution at best and also some chronic power supply issues and what not early on. I use it mostly for backup but also to feed media to apple tvs and the like. I have 4 drives but none are the same size (no matched pairs.) I haven't played with RAID anything in a long time.

Questions:
Do RAID based NASs require matched disk pairs/sizes?

Is there a clear leader in the mid-range consumer models?

Has anyone played with a Drobo 5N yet? (looks like maybe it hasn't released yet) Looks sexy but feeling a bit burnt on gen2 troubles.

Appreciate any feedback, pointers or reference! Seems like a good forum here.

#2 GT5002

GT5002

• 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Couple of questions to the NAS experts here.

Relevant notes:
My 4 bay gen 2 w/ droboshare died recently, and to be really honest it never worked especially well. Seemed like the droboshare was a hack of a solution at best and also some chronic power supply issues and what not early on. I use it mostly for backup but also to feed media to apple tvs and the like. I have 4 drives but none are the same size (no matched pairs.) I haven't played with RAID anything in a long time.

Questions:
Do RAID based NASs require matched disk pairs/sizes?

Is there a clear leader in the mid-range consumer models?

Has anyone played with a Drobo 5N yet? (looks like maybe it hasn't released yet) Looks sexy but feeling a bit burnt on gen2 troubles.

Appreciate any feedback, pointers or reference! Seems like a good forum here.

Hi Routing

From what I know, you do not need matching disk pairs/sizes for RAID. I may be wrong but I think this is correct. I cam by this 5-bay NAS by Thecus and it seems like read/write speeds are quick. Not sure if this is something you're looking for.

http://www.thecus.co....php?PROD_ID=76

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users