• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chaostheory

chaostheory

• 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Hello guys,

I've got two LSI controllers on my desk 9260 and 9240. Decided to try 9260 first, but what concerns me is... I'm getting really poor speed compared to X79 chipset.

I'm using 2 plextor drives: M5S and M5Pro. I know they're not equally fast, but for benching will do just right.

Look at results vs Intel:

Posted Image

X79 is better at 4K writes and completely destroys my 9260 in terms of 4k-64Thrd.

Configuration:

Posted Image

Could you help me with this one? I can provide screenshots of anything you need :)

Regards

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Without an apples to apples comparison with the same drives its hard to say what it could be. How is caching configured on the 9240 and 9260? Is it just write through or write back? If its write-back is there a battery or is it forced on without battery present?

#3 chaostheory

chaostheory

• 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

But I know a single M5S gets about ~85 MB/s random 4k write on Intel chipset. So on a controller I should get AT LEAST the same number, while I do have ~53 MB/s using two drives :/

I played with caching: disabled/enabled. If I make "disable" in options, my sequential writes drop to ~150 MB/s so it's no go. I tried write-through, write-back without battery and the result almost never changes. Give or take 50 MB/s sequential speeds.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Could be a controller limitation. Plus an asymmetric RAID0 (since your drives are different models) may have its own performance penalties.

Unfortunately those are just guesses.

#5 chaostheory

chaostheory

• 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Two Intel SSD 520 drives will arrive to me tomorrow. We will see then.

#6 Stoyan Varlyakov

Stoyan Varlyakov

• 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Two Intel SSD 520 drives will arrive to me tomorrow. We will see then.

Another thing - switch to IOMeter. Intel RST does Cache into RAM a lot and thus shows miraculous results.
If this is the result using AHCI, then I wonder why the case. I have 2xintel 520 on RAID1 on an 9271 and the picture is different altogether.
What you see above is my personal opinion. Don't take it as the holy bible and the one-and-only truth :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users