• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

hey guys
i had and external Seagete GoFlex which i opend up only to find that the disk which was used was
seagate st31000528as so i started it using as in internal storege .
i did not get a chance to load the operation system into it because the Hdd dropped and started making noise and on the pcb its getting heated up a lot in one particular area .
and the surprising thing is that it switches of it self automatically ..
please help me out as i am confused and want the data which is stored in this disk as half of 1 tb is filled which is very important to me ...
awating response .
i have uploaded the sound below..

sorry for the bad english....

Attached Files

#2 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Drive is dead. The sounds you hear are the heads trying to find their startup and servo information. Most drives will automatically shut off if it cannot initialize within a preset time period.

Based on your description of the noises starting after dropping the drive, you are unlikely to have much chance of fixing it yourself. You need to ask yourself how important this data is to you and how much you want to spend on salvaging it, since professional data recovery is likely your only hope.

#3 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

The 'ol freezer trick might work on this one since it sounds like you have some thermal issues...put in your freezer in a ziplock for a few hours, then fire up and copy as quickly as possible. You may have to re-freeze repeatedly and grab data in chunks...

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#4 ramkumar

ramkumar

• 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hey try to attached the Driver as secondary drive and start copy all the data before the drive get died.

I can say that drive is nearly gonna die.

Start copy all the data immediately by attaching as a secondary drive.

#5 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Drive is dead. The sounds you hear are the heads trying to find their startup and servo information. Most drives will automatically shut off if it cannot initialize within a preset time period.

Based on your description of the noises starting after dropping the drive, you are unlikely to have much chance of fixing it yourself. You need to ask yourself how important this data is to you and how much you want to spend on salvaging it, since professional data recovery is likely your only hope.

hey mickey i just read somewhere that by removing the disk just the plate (platter) and putting it on the same model of any other hdd that will help me is it true and will it be possible for me to go ahead and remove and insert the platter by my self ???

#6 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hey try to attached the Driver as secondary drive and start copy all the data before the drive get died.

I can say that drive is nearly gonna die.

Start copy all the data immediately by attaching as a secondary drive.

hello
Ramkumar..
the drive is not getting detected any where ..
i just plug the power then all that happens is that noise and then the disk shut off it self !! :(

#7 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

The 'ol freezer trick might work on this one since it sounds like you have some thermal issues...put in your freezer in a ziplock for a few hours, then fire up and copy as quickly as possible. You may have to re-freeze repeatedly and grab data in chunks...

hello FastMHz
thanks for the 1st positive reply ...
i am gonna try out this trick just now il keep it overnight and then try to power it on ...

just for further information
i have around 500 gigss of data in it will it be possible to retrive all the data by doing this process again and again over the period of time ???

#8 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

There is no guarantee that you'll retrieve any data at all, but it works sometimes depending on the mode of failure. It's also entirely possible you'll retrieve all of it. Good luck!

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#9 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

hey mickey i just read somewhere that by removing the disk just the plate (platter) and putting it on the same model of any other hdd that will help me is it true and will it be possible for me to go ahead and remove and insert the platter by my self ???

I wouldn't bother. The only people with the proper equipment and skills to successfully do this are professional data recovery firms.

This might have been possible a few decades ago, when hard drives were literally assembled on factory floors, but certainly isn't possible now.

#10 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

There is no guarantee that you'll retrieve any data at all, but it works sometimes depending on the mode of failure. It's also entirely possible you'll retrieve all of it. Good luck!

hey it did not work ...
i just guess i have to replace the disk ... :(
thanks for the help and tips :)

#11 VRS

VRS

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

I wouldn't bother. The only people with the proper equipment and skills to successfully do this are professional data recovery firms.

This might have been possible a few decades ago, when hard drives were literally assembled on factory floors, but certainly isn't possible now.

hey ..
thanks for the help ....the only option for me is to let go the thought of recovery and just get the replacement from seagate.
b'coz i had contacted a few local tech but its like they will have to open and only after that they can do the checking but the warranty will be void of they open the hdd ...

#12 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

My understanding is if you send the HDD to an approved professional data recovery company, your warranty will still be valid and you can get the RMA. The approved list depends on the HDD maker.

Either way, it sucks to lose data. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users