Photo

Can C600-series SAS controller RAID SATA drives?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vladimir

Vladimir

• 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I have a GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI motherboard and four ST3000DM001 drives, and the IRST manager isn't letting me put the drives in a RAID (it lists them, but the option to select the C600-series controller is simply grayed out).

Have I done a mistake? Do I need SAS drives to RAID them on the SAS controller?

Edited by Vladimir, 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#2 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Attached File  GA-WIFI.JPG   30.07KB   0 downloads

2 x SATA 6Gb/s (SATA3 0~1) and 4 x SATA 3Gb/s (SATA2 2~5) Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

* Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.

8 x SAS 3Gb/s (SAS2 0~7) Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10

* The SAS connectors do not support optical drives.

This is from a quick glance at the spec sheet. I see that the bottom 8 drive connectors, colored grey, are the SAS connectors. The 4 black connectors just above those are SATA at 3 Gbps, and the top two white connectors are SATA at 6 Gbps. How about trying out your Seagate SATA drives on the SATA at 3 Gbps controller?

Do I need SAS drives to RAID them on the SAS controller?

Not usually, so there may be more reading of the manual (or online) in your near future.

#3 Vladimir

Vladimir

• 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I managed to get it done by connecting the drives to the SATA ports, creating the RAID there, then plugging them back into the SAS ports. The array was recognized and works fine. I guess it's an IRST bug or artificial limitation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users