• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computationalerr

computationalerr

• 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hello everybody,
My name is Chris. I am new to this board. I am an admin of a smallish photo lab in silverton oregon.
This is one of the few sites that I have found that I actually think I can trust the reviews from. Its a great site.

I am currently running two 8 bay Infortrend stardoms. They are DAS using IDE drives attached to the server via SCSI. I have this same setup for my backup also. All 4 of the arrays are about 2TB each. We primarily have small files. The majority of them are JPG's at 2-5 megabytes. Then I have millions of unicode text files that are all around 500kb.
The servers have dual gigabit teams going to Netgear GS724t gigabit switches.
The speed of this setup is acceptable. Definitely nothing terrific.

We are running out of room quickly.

I have a budget of about $3200 for two drive arrays to replace what we currently have.
I am wanting about 6tb per array with room to grow.

The top contender I am looking at is the Synology DS1812 with 5 - 3TB WD red drives. I am planning on either doing raid 10, or 6. More leaning towards 6.
I will be using 4 in the array, then have the 5th as a spare. Synology does not offer raid 6 or 10 with a spare though, which is kind of odd.

I have not really found any better alternatives for the price I need to stick to.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look into would be greatly appreciated.

#2 computationalerr

computationalerr

• 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

TTT

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Synology DS1812+ is a very solid offering and offers terrific performance. We are still working on our review right now in the background, but from what we've seen the DS1512+ with 5400RPM drives in RAID5 outperforms the InforTrend EonNAS 1310 with 7200RPM drives also in RAID5. Upgrading the Synology to 7200RPM gives it an even bigger advantage. The WD Reds are also a smart choice for that system, and we've had nothing but praise for them so far as we've moved them between systems for reviews.

I've been extremely impressed with the Synology offers on both the consumer and business sides. The interface is dead simple to use and one of the best looking, and the performance from the NAS themselves are easily into the SMB category. In terms of RAID I would go with RAID6 for a production environment no question to gain that 2 drive redundancy.

#4 computationalerr

computationalerr

• 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Oh yeah, I guess a hot spare wouldn't really be necessary with raid6. Do you have anything against raid10? I guess for currently only 4 drives it would have the same amount of redundancy. HHmm.. They would also have the same amount of space. Once I am up to 8 drives in there, I would be able to theoretically in a perfect world lose 4 of the drives with raid10 and still be OK.

I havent seen the actual specs of the spindle speed for the reds. I read in a few places that they are only 5400 RPM. Is there a faster drive in my price range that has TLER?

Thank you very much for your response.

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Oh yeah, I guess a hot spare wouldn't really be necessary with raid6. Do you have anything against raid10? I guess for currently only 4 drives it would have the same amount of redundancy. HHmm.. They would also have the same amount of space. Once I am up to 8 drives in there, I would be able to theoretically in a perfect world lose 4 of the drives with raid10 and still be OK.

I havent seen the actual specs of the spindle speed for the reds. I read in a few places that they are only 5400 RPM. Is there a faster drive in my price range that has TLER?

Thank you very much for your response.

In a performance setting I know RAID10 will offer higher performance than RAID6, but in terms of expansion and growth it is easier to add a drive or to to a RAID6 array than it is RAID10. It will really come down to preference though.

The system with my DS1218+ and Synology RackStation data is offline right now (migrating stuff around in the lab) but if you give me a day I can pull the quick numbers for Reds vs Hitachi 7K4000 Uttrastars to show what you get by bumping up spindle speed. The short of it is about a 30% jump in random I/O performance, but you have all that added cost, more power usage, and highly likely chance you aren't fully utilizing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users