• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tinwhistle

tinwhistle

• 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi all.

I am currently running a Kingston HyperX 3K 240gig drive and I just got another one, but 120 gig. My plan is to only load the OS on the 120gig drive and use the other for programs, files, games, pictures, ect...

I am not going to run these in a RAID configuration as from what I read, TRIM is not supported in a RAID configuration.

My boot SSD will be the 120 gig.

Couple of questions.

1) Which SSD should i be loading drivers onto once the OS is installed?
2) Am i going to run into issues with somes files being written to one drive and some to the other?
3) Is the "2" SDD non RAID configuration a good idea?

Thanks for reading.

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Are you planning to reload the OS or just to add the new drive as a secondary drive?

And TRIM is now supported in Intel 7-series chipsets, but RAID is usually a bad idea anyway, so I wouldn't worry abou tit.

The 240GB drive will be faster than the 120GB, but probably not enough to matter.

Multiple SSDs runs just like multiple HDDs, not sure what issues you are expecting? ;)

#3 tinwhistle

tinwhistle

• 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to wipe the 240g drive clean and then install the OS on the 120g.

I guess my worries are around when I am installing drivers and what, not will the files that need to be written to the drive with the OS be written there. Perhaps this should not be a worry but I have run never run in a multiple drive environment before.

For example, if I download a third part program such as CPUz for benchmarking and i specify for the file to be installed on the non OS drive, will there be an issue with that program working since the OS is not on that drive?

#4 Axl

Axl

Lifelong Reader

• Patron
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

You will have no issues installing applications on your second drive, but I would like to point out that a 120 GB system drive will hold a large Windows install and plenty of large applications as well, with room to spare, and still have room to over-provision and under-partition. For example, my 1.5 year-old Win7 installation, with all apps installed to C: along with the OS, is currently using up 31 GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users