• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fel

Fel

• 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

Hypothetically, if I have a NAS and the device dies (not the drives) can I move the drives into another NAS and still have my data?
Does it matter what RAID the system was using?
Does the new NAS need to be the same model or manufacturer?

Just trying to figure out how to recover from the NAS dying.

Thanks

#2 j00d

j00d

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

you should probably give more info, like what model NAS you have and how the disks were configured

#3 Fel

Fel

• 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

you should probably give more info, like what model NAS you have and how the disks were configured

I'm sorry, it is a hypothetical situation. I am wondering what happens when the actual NAS device fails, and you are left with a set of hard disks. Is there a way to retrieve your data? Basically, if I get a NAS and have it set up in Raid 0 or Raid 5, and the NAS dies, what happens to all my data, i'd prefer not to lose it.

Lets say it is a NAS with hardware Raid 5 or hardware Raid 0

#4 sqldba

sqldba

• 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

It depends on the type of NAS you are using. If the OS is installed on the disk, then you should be able to move it between the same model of equipment. I know this works on a Synology 1511 as the OS is installed to the disk as as long as you install them in the same slot, everything works. The raid may not be recoverable unless you use the same hardware since raid in most often tied to the hardware of a manufacturer. A third party may have to do the work for you unless you have the knowledge and equipment. The one other factor to consider is that the raid volume may be corrupted in total if the hardware dies. I would suggest having a backup of the data you cannot afford to lose, preferably off site.

#5 ramkumar

ramkumar

• 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

what kind of failure is that?

if you have control station issue.. you can reinstall the OS and start working in Drives.

#6 Fel

Fel

• 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Ok, thanks for all your replies.

In my experience, stuff breaks, be it from faulty parts, general use, someone kicking it(on accident or on purpose), circuit board shorts out, etc.

I wanted to know what my chances of recovering the data on the drives was if the actual NAS unit stopped working for some reason.

What got me started thinking about it was a friend of mine has raid 0 on his motherboard, so he basically had a mirror of his system, and I asked him what happens if the motherboard dies? He didn't have a good answer, and it got me thinking about NAS Units that people use for media storage, what if the NAS dies but the disks are ok, can you move them to a different NAS and they will work, and if so, how? Is it easy or hard to do?

So it is good to know that you can do that with some units depending on how they are set up, and that will help me make a purchasing decision in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users