AHCI in BIOS Help?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobmax

bobmax

• 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I would like to get a Samsung 830 128 GB SSD.
b/4 I do i would like to know how to set up the AHCI in BIOS. ( do I have to do this before fitting SSD or after?)
I don't have any experience of using the BIOS (complete dummy here)So any help would be very much appreciated.
Mothjerboard details:

ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model SABERTOOTH X58 (LGA1366)

Thanks

Edited by bobmax, 30 November 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#2 s_a_r99

s_a_r99

• 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

The BIOS on that motherboard is set to AHCI by default. You can verify that by pressing the DEL key at startup and then go to Advanced settings. There should be a setting for SATA. The choices are IDE, ACHI (default) or RAID. You can always download the user manual at the Asus website if you need more instructions.
Cheers!

#3 bobmax

bobmax

• 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

The BIOS on that motherboard is set to AHCI by default. You can verify that by pressing the DEL key at startup and then go to Advanced settings. There should be a setting for SATA. The choices are IDE, ACHI (default) or RAID. You can always download the user manual at the Asus website if you need more instructions.
Cheers!

Excellent Thanks. That's taken the worry from it for me. :D

#4 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 65 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

the AHCI should be somewhere in the "integrated periphials" tab.
Please connect your SSD to the internal Intel controller, not to any other additional controller, real world performance will be best with the integrated one.

#5 bobmax

bobmax

• 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

the AHCI should be somewhere in the "integrated periphials" tab.
Please connect your SSD to the internal Intel controller, not to any other additional controller, real world performance will be best with the integrated one.

thank you for that info, but could you elaborate for a dummie please?

#6 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Here is the manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus....ertooth_X58.pdf

Refer to page 2-29. Plug in the sata cable for 830 into one of the black SATA1-SATA6 ports.

As for AHCI, refer to 3.4.2 Storage Configuration, which is on page 3-10. It looks like the default is IDE for that motherboard.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users