• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anzar412

Anzar412

• 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi

I have extrernal WD My passport essential SE 1 TB hard disk. I have been using this HD for past 10 months. One day I connected this HD to my friend's desktop front USB port and it gave me "power surge on hub port-------" error, after that this HD is undetectable on any PC/Laptop (not in device manager, not in BIOS). The hard disk spins up, LED blinks for a while and then remains stable. There is not any weird noise from hard disk. I opened the enclosure and observed the PCB, it has no burn marks.
I want to recover some of the data from hard disk. Please someone help me.
My hard disk details are as follows.

WD P/N : WD10TMVW-11ZSMS5
DCM : HHMT2BBN
DCX : XZ55S77M9
WWN: 50014EE159BAAEE0
PCB : 2060-771814-001 REV P1

Regards,
Anzar

#2 sathyan

sathyan

• 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Chances are that there may be some blown fuses.
You will need multimeter to test them, and soldering tools and skill to solve it.
A picture of the component side of the PCB will be helpful.
If you are not sure of doing it yourself and your data is important, take professional help.
Do It Yourself is a risky thing, be careful

#3 Anzar412

Anzar412

• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi Sathyan,

I have Multimeter and know how to use it. I am an Electronics Engineer.
However, I dont know what components to check on PCB.
I have attached a snapshot of my PCB.
Please suggest.

Attached Files

#4 Mickey

Mickey

• Patron
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

There aren't any fuses on the drive PCBA. If the motor is able to come up to speed, I'm inclined to think at least that part of the circuit is still fine. I assume you tested this part by removing the drive from the enclosure and directly connecting it to a SATA port? Another option is putting the drive in a different enclosure, if you don't have access to a spare SATA port.

If the drive still won't detect under those conditions, then there is probably some sort of damage to the rest of the board, maybe on the SoC itself. That won't be something you can troubleshoot or fix yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users